Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

oh 23.46 unity then u need to force it in vesc tool, i just know it had to be done that way, never actually done it myself.

i’ve stayed on 23.46 since the start, only thing i wished i had was smart reverse but i can live without it.

1 Like

What do you do if you cant connect the bluetooth nrf51 due to firmware needing to be updated. I tried with usb and couldn’t get a connection either. I read somewhere that firmware should not be done remotely . Maybe these old foc boxes have super old firmwate on them. IDK this is my first time trying to program and keep getting a roadblock

charging a p group of 30q cells, I want to charge it to 4.0…4.1. what should I set the capacity cutoff to 3000mAh or would it be 4000mAh?

1 Like

Depends on what SoC the batteries are at now and most coloumb counters in chargers aren’t especially accurate, I would just check on the voltage every 10-20 minutes if you can afford the time.

2 Likes

I’m charging very slow at 1A. should I still check every 10-20 min?

1 Like

Depends on how many p groups you have, 1 single 30q is going to take 3 hours to charge at 1A, checking every 30 minutes is probably fine until you get closer to the desired voltage.

1 Like

I have 12 total about 5 are already at desired voltage. I’m charging one group at a time.

Yes, we’ve established that. But how many cells are in each group? That is the information needed to calculate the charge time.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I didn’t understand. I have 6 cells per group

2 Likes

Okay. Since each cell has a capacity of 3Ah, and you have six cells, that means that at one amp it’s going to take ((3Ah * 6 = 18Ah) /1A =) 18 hours to go from fully dead to 100% full.

2 Likes

Could this cipped piece be an issue? Or “if it works its fine”

1 Like

Yes, it could. But it also might just be fine.

If it were a PCB I was building myself and I had the correct cap on hand to replace it with, I would definitely do so. But if I didn’t hade the part on hand, I don’t know if I’d be motivated enough to look up the schematic, find the right part, order it, and then replace it. I’d probably YOLO that shit.

2 Likes

Anyone know where MakerX ships their products from?

my last purchase was shipped from Zhongshan, China

5 Likes

Best deck I’ve personally ridden.

9 Likes

in pavel garmas’s VESC tutorial video he says that 18650 battery’s should choose this 3_0__4_2 option
but doesn mentioned what 21700 battery owners need to choose. ive got a 12s4p 21700 40T batter, can someone advice me on the settings i need (and even better, point me to guide to setting up my VESC…im very n00b to this part)

2 Likes

I don’t believe that the size of the battery matters here; I think it’s just the voltage that the cell is rated for; i.e. if your cell is meant to go up to 4.2V for that option, then choose 3.0-4.2, and I believe the second option has a lower range for another cell chemistry. The 40T charges up to 4.2V like most of the 18650 cells we use, so you’d choose that one. As for Battery Cells Series, it’s pretty self explanatory – in your case it’s 12, and for Battery Capacity you want to input the total Ah of your pack. So for a 4P config of 40T, it would be 16Ah since each cell has a capacity of 4000mAh.

7 Likes

very clear, cheers mate :+1:

2 Likes

Same choice for 21700.

It’s the chemistry that matters and not the form factor.

edit: answered already by @YeetMeat

4 Likes

What @YeetMeat says is correct

I also personally don’t discharge my cells down to 3v, I cutoff at 3.2v. I just set my voltages manually after configuration

2 Likes