Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Doesn’t matter too much

2 Likes

What issues exactly?
I got into this right at the release of fw5/5.01 and i can’t find a single fault with it

Set a maximum reverse erpm and watch the brakes go out any time you exceed that.

1 Like

i still want to do that and see it. :). way down on the todo list though.

What sense does limiting reverse erpm make when the intended way to use it is with smart reverse?

Smart Reverse is an “app” setting. Maximum erpm is a “motor” setting. So apples to oranges here.

I don’t even use smart reverse, I think it’s crappy. But I know folks who use bindings like it. I prefer Current Hyst Reverse With Brake. But either way, if you want to limit the speed the motor can spin in reverse, you will loose brakes above that speed. So in other words, you can accidentally roll down a hill riding switch with no brakes. It’s a horrible trap to discover by accident and it’s the reason I discontinued setting maximum reverse speeds.

The VESC software just isn’t good enough for that yet.

2 Likes

Maybe practice soldering.
Or read soldering thread (and then practice soldering)

3 Likes

Where did you get these?

1 Like

Can you use one Hoyt Puck on two boards if you have a receiver on each?

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing. Just gotta repair each time but it takes 5 seconds

1 Like

Idk this might have happened to me

The main issue I had was weird braking problems with smart reverse, if I lost any traction at all, it really threw me off. I didn’t know what the issue was so I ended up switching to the older firmware and it has been fine since then.

1 Like

Different category settings, but they can get you to the same thing you want to achieve. I think smart reverse is crap with the default settings, but set it at something lower, like 1.7s and you get actual functioning reverse. Release it and then brake again at any reverse speed and it will just brake first to a full stop

1 Like

That’s a problem traction control fixed for me

1 Like

When I’m going backwards, I prefer to “brake” by pulling on the throttle. When the “brake” changes directions like that, it gets to me.

But yeah I can see how that’s the case.

I just really prefer the implementation on Current Hyst Reverse With Brake

1 Like

Maybe I’ll try turning that on. I remember there being a disadvantage to turning it on but I can’t remember what that was

1 Like

Well, i gave the board to someone and the first thing he did was trying to slide. It didn’t go well. I’d say losing power in the other wheel when one is clear off the ground is a problem to some

1 Like

Yeah I mean I’ve never ridden with tc on before so idk what it’s like

some use case have 0 benefit with TC on or off, so its really depending on user.

u can set the the parameter low enough that it doesn’t reverse to that fast, and up the ramp time so it does the reverse slowly and smoothly, main use for that (at least for me) is just to stop myself rolling forward when stopping at traffic lights. Also, the reverse doesn’t start until ur board get to 0 speed, so it’s still kinda useful i’d say

2 Likes

I’m referring to “trigger forward” being brake when you’re travelling normally, but when you are rolling backwards, “trigger backward” is brake: aka “go forward”

I was referring to this where it changes the direction of your hand control.

For example, I always want “pulling the trigger towards me” to accelerate me forward, even if I’m rolling backwards already. I always want “pushing the trigger away from me” to accelerate me backwards (aka “brakes”), even if I’m rolling backwards already, then it just goes faster backwards.

“Current” control mode largely does this, but I like the extra pause before reverse engages, which is “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” control mode.

2 Likes

ohhh, i gotcha u now. didn’t click first time about the trigger / thumb wheel style remote. trigger remote is weird for me no matter how many times i try it :confused:

1 Like