Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I did double stacked strips of neoprene to fill a 8mm gap, it works ok but it’s shifted a bit with the board flexing.
Been thinking of replacing it with some D strips ment for car doors

2 Likes

If you contact cement the neoprene pieces to the deck and enclosure, then they won’t go anywhere :wink:

2 Likes

Very waterproof, tested
Not sure how I will open that, if needed :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, or just being used too hard. Anytime too much current is being drawn from the cell.

1 Like

What rubber gasket do you guys recommend? Also, attached to the deck or the enclosure?

I saw a video that used car window gasket attached to the enclosure, looked like a good fit.

Neoprene foam sheets are good, butyl tape is messy but effective, you can pour your own urethane gasket like @glyphiks. Or get “d-profile weather strip,” “door trim with side bulb,” etc. Lots of options.

3 Likes

Solid rubber (like nitrile or viton) sheets won’t conform very much unless they’re quite thick, so unless you’ve got a very close fit-up between your enclosure and deck (like say within 0.01" or so), it probably won’t fill gaps enough to be waterproof.

Neoprene foam is great because it is very conformal - it crushes down a lot, so it can fill lots of irregularities. Also it’s alightly porous, so it is slightly more “highly water resistant”, than fully water proof (but it doesn’t really matter unless you’re building a boat or a submarine)

Butyl tape is suuuuper messy, but does provide a very good seal.

Weatherstrip with a compliant shape (D or P profile) will also fill gaps well, and can fill even larger gaps than a reasonable thickness of neoprene.

It all comes down to your specific needs, which is right for you.

2 Likes

Dude that urethane gasket is so nice. That one was proof of concept, need to refine the process now.

2 Likes

You can also put butyl tape around the enclosure lip and lay rubber sheet on top of that, before mounting to deck. So, “both”

got it, thx for the info bruh.

1 Like

What do ya’ll think of this? Good? Bad? Has anyone put a little bit of miles on one, (2 in my case cuz im running 2×6374) let my know your opinions/experiences. And your setups when using it?:+1:
TORQUE ESC BLDC Electronic Speed Controller - DIY Electric Skateboard

Could you link me to your solution?

I routed the shape out of mdf, sealed the mdf with multiple coats of 2k clear, taped up that mold with packing tape for easy release, then poured in 65A urethane. Easy peasy.

Siliconed to enclosure, let cure, trimmed any excess

5 Likes

Those are VESC 4.12 and they work fine for up to 25A battery current, and work better at 10S than at 12S

1 Like

Nice, 'cus that’s what I have, 10s5p👍

1 Like

Yeah if you keep “battery max” at 25A or less, they will work great for you.

If you make the numbers too high, you will have a bad time. Although that’s for almost any ESC :rofl:

1 Like

What about motor max?

Motor max is much more flexible. It also depends on what motor you’re using. Under the right conditions you may even be able to hit three-digit motor max numbers.

1 Like

I would describe them as “basic”. They’re okay, as long as you have appropriate expectations. They’re cheap, limited in power, and have no provision for unlocking extra performance by improving cooling. As long as you treat them right, they should be fine.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks guys! Planning to get these tomorrow with the black friday deal

1 Like