Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I got a bunch of them for balancing a variety of S lipo packs, but also a few 10-12S ones that I’ve been using on esk8 packs.

1 Like

Ohh that’s an active balancer. I meant a passive balancer. But yeah, that’s an idea too.

Aw shit, what’s the difference? lol

Bleed vs transfer?

Yes, bleed versus transfer

1 Like

Dammit, I just committed to trying to fit the BMS I have coming in, into my enclosure. I will find a way to utilize the heatsink for sure.

If only there were an “anti lipo” fire capsule i could put in there.

there are charging bags meant for lipos. just in case they catch fire.
if you have room in the enclosure I don’t see why you couldn’t use it
also look for them in the r/c and drone industry. that is where they are most commonly used.

Amazon.com: DerBlue 2pcs Fireproof Explosionproof Lipo Battery Safe Bag Lipo Battery Guard Safe Bag(185x75x60mm): Home Audio & Theater

That’s called “good design”, and the idea is to not let things get to the fire stage. Or even close.

2 Likes

Does it actually work for you? I tried that one and it literally doesn’t do anything useful.

The expensive active balancers /w bluetooth are great thou

1 Like

i suggest if you use lipos. you more carefully monitor the cells. the discharge rates are much higher on lipos and you can easily let them get too low. which is bad for the cell. and then if you try and charge it too fast with damaged cells it will swell up and possibly catch fire. which is why it is recommended to only charge and store them in lipo safe bags.
the best lipos are in hard cases for that purpose. that does not mean they will not puff up and catch fire on you if you do not take care of the pack.

i actually had a friend who burned down his garage because he left lipos charging overnight…

1 Like

Yeah, it does what it advertises. I was pretty hesitant bc some of the reviews seem to echo your statement, but I bought a 6S one to put on a busted lipo pack and it seemed to do just what it said it would, so I bought some more.

Did yours just not balance/light up at all? How out of balance was the pack?

1 Like

I basically charged a 12s pack to 4v per cell, then one pgroup to 4.1v and left it plugged overnight.
The balancer did move charge around the pgroups randomly, but delta between highest and lowest was still around the same 100mV.
Into the dumpster it went. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like just some unneccessary wear on the cell cycle life and maybe some extra weight, but nothing useful :rofl:

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable test, haha. It’s only ever acted like I expected it to. Drains high cells to low cells next to it if the difference is higher than 30mv. So, for the most part it isn’t doing anything on these packs except for occasionally when charging, and possibly upon discharge as well. They’ve definitely done work on imbalanced packs though :man_shrugging: I guess YMMV!

I have and use lipo bags to charge and store my lipos.Thats fine with my current setup where i have to remove and charge them with a hobby charger. However, since I am converting to a BMS, the enclosure will be the only real defense.

I just don’t think I could fit a lipo bag in my enclosure.

Fuck it just run them and be ready to jump off when your feet start getting hot. lol

i wonder if a devaga x can monitor multiple lipos?

I’m aware. Thats obviously the first line of defense. I’m saying that on then off chance that something fails even after the initial preventative actions.

Lipos are dangerous.

Just for some peace of mind.

2 Likes

If batteries burned my board up, I think a big chunk of my soul would burn up and die with it haha.

3 Likes

Yee

It works :man_shrugging:

I did it mostly as a proof of concept, and I will be revising my process and doing it again on my upcoming eMTB build. These pictures use a GX20 14pin connector, and @glyphiks is right, a bit of metal or water in the port would cause a big ol’ spark. I plan to print a cover out of flexible TPU.

2 Likes

Hi all, my issue is my duty cycle reaches the 95%
it will cut off the input.
the speed will drop

Post some screenshots of your config pages. More info, more better.