Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I have 80% of the parts to actually start building my esk8 now but as I said in other posts I want it to be an on road/ off road setup.
I already have 90mm boa wheels and I’m waiting for my 6x2 pneumatics to arrive…
Motor pulley will be the same for both setups (16T) but wheel pulley is going to be 36t street and 60t offroad. Now the question is: when I ll be programming my vescs is there a way to kinda save a double setup that I can switch on the remote or do I have to unscrew the enclosure every time I wanna put pneumatics on? (The original idea was to build something like evolve gtr but more personalized and better performing )

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure out throttle curves, it looks like I need to set it up in the VESC Remote tab of vesc tool? I’m not using a PPM remote by the way, I’m using a flipsky vx1 over UART

Correct. However,

should be getting you 32 miles. So either that consumption number is wrong (if you have your gear ratios or wheel diameter set wrong, that can throw this off), or (more likely) you are not getting the full 518Wh out of your battery. Thats normal, as we have a very high-drain application. Voltage sag and high-amp discharge means you are not getting the full capacity out of your cells.

Maybe? Its kind of hard to say, and depends on a lot of factors such as gear ratios, riding style, rider’s weight, wind resistance, etc. If your consumption number is correct at 16Wh/mi, then you already have a very efficient setup.

Re-run the input setup wizard, and as you are configuring your settings there will be a setting called “positive ramping time.” By default it is like 0.4ms. If you bump that up a lot, then when you push up on your throttle it will take longer for your esk8 to respond to your throttle input. This will have the effect of dampening the instantaneous current draw needed for hard acceleration, which will be less strenuous on your battery.

I dont really recommend that though. I personally like my ramping times to be as short as possible, and I just control my throttle myself.

Realistically the two best ways to get more efficiency out of your esk8 is to weigh less and have lower wind resistance. So strip nude and lay down on your board when you need to make it 20 miles :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

On the remote? Almost certainly not. What remote do you have?

No, the best solution is going to be getting a bluetooth module for your ESC and setting up profiles that you can switch on your phone.

1 Like

it will force you to accelerate like a granny but should get you a tine bit more range.
personally I drop it down to 0.2ish so I can take off like a race car

3 Likes

Uploading: C5F32B32-7587-4A12-95EA-F4518A1BB359.jpeg…

I hope it’s not too expensive

1 Like

What settings would you be looking to change? I use the same settings for my pnummie and urethane setup, just made it so the gearing is almost the same

On that maytech remote, you can set up speed profiles, but that’s the only thing I believe

2 Likes

Well actually I don’t even know till I test it out…
I was just wondering if I really need to change something because of the different gear ratio but I can just switch that on my remote (for speed, range , voltage etc informations)
Does gear ratio matter when setting up an esc?

What are the two different gear ratios?

On my setup, its 15:40: 110mm for the urethane and then 15:55: 6inch for the pnummie

I think the VESC speed readout depends on the ratio you input at setup? I’m not 100% sure though. It’s pretty much interchangeable though if you set up the right amp draw and whatnot on the vesc

1 Like

It does. The wh/mile calculation is also based on the circimference o the wheels and the gear ratio.

3 Likes

Hmm I guess I should change that ratio in metr when I switch wheels then. Probably getting an inaccurate wh/mi calculation now

2 Likes

There is axial load on your motor bearings to consider with helical. Absolutely no idea how much the additional load would affect motor lifespan though, perhaps it’s entirely negligible.

In my case it’s 16:36 urethane and 16:60 pneumatics… I’ll set max volts, amps and all the electronic stuff the same for both.
With this remote I can choose where to get informations from so when I ride 6x2 I ll just set the gear ratio on the remote and stop getting infos from the escs .
Hope it works as I’m thinking it💀

Yeah, I looked into it some more and decided to just reduce the motor current a bit more. I actually decreased the ramp up time from 0.4 to 0.32, I might try reducing it further. I really like instantaneous torque

When I’m doing a nude run to increase efficiency I always use the sock on the dong trick to avoid grip tape rash :clap:

6 Likes

Wanted more range and ended up doing the opasit :man_shrugging:

You get better range out of pneumatics than I get out of urethane driving style is a big factor. I fined I regen about 10% of the energy that I used to get up the same hill so it’s best to use the brakes as little as possible if you want more range. Run high psi helps as well to reduce drag

Only 14 miles are you using vtc4 or 20r if not you are wasting energy somewhere. I get almost double that with 150mm airless 12s4p 16000mah.

Reducing battery amps helps more for getting higher range, and it still “feels powerful”

Definitely leave the motor amps high.

1 Like

@b264 what’s the magic with steel jb weld? How do i make it cure faster?