Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I need a charger for my 12s4p 21700 battery. Been looking at these, are they my best option for fast charge? (And what amperage do i need - 3,4 or 8 … just see they’re out of the 8 amperage ones…should I be looking for that one?)

1 Like

It depends…what brand/model number cells does your battery pack use?

1 Like

Ah, well I’m hoping to use 40T, but there’s a chance I have to use p42a.

1 Like

8A is standard charge rate for a 4P 40T. They are rated at 3x that, but chargers get expensive. If you get smaller than that, it will just take longer to charge your battery. I think that’s a 2hr charge @ 8A.

1 Like

I know the answer is old but should I be scared of water and dust getting in the can or not. I’ll be using them on gravel roads too so I was wondering if I’ll have to somehow seal them or just ride em and like once in a month open them up and clean

Ok, thanks for this. Any small form-factor 8A chargers out there, or they are all more or less the same size?

If you’re not using sensors, you don’t need to care at all. If you’re using sensors, yeah, that’ll cause major issues.

1 Like

8A is when they start getting big… kind of a crapshoot on which one to pick. YZpower (pretty sure nexus stocks these), Wate, and Luna are all relatively proven brands.

4 Likes

Maybe I’ll just pick up a 4A one, I’ve still got ptsd from having carried around a gaming laptop charger for a few years

1 Like

I have both the black and silver one. I can get you the dimensions if you want.

1 Like

Here a teaser.

2A - 5A - 7A

4 Likes

Yeah, that would be helpful actually

Fucking hell that’s big
I guess that one stays at home

1 Like

The black one is 7 x 15 x 4.5 cm (W/L/H) and weighs ~400g

the silver one 12.5 x 21 x 5.5cm and weighs ~990g

1 Like

Cheers mate :+1:

Molicel P42A’s are the slightly better choice between those two. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Not if they don’t fit in your deck /enclosure :wink::rofl:

He’s trying to put them in a Hummie single stack!

3 Likes

Ahhh…nvm. :grin:

2 Likes

Aren’t the 40T and P42A the same 21700 form factor? Are they slightly different sizes and that slight amount matters here?

1 Like

P42a is literally like 21.3mm vs 21. When you’re doing 12s4p in a Hummie single stack you have about 50/51cm of usable space (for the battery to leave space for BMS /ESC etc) length ways maybe a touch more. The extra. 3 mm when you have 24 cells ina row adds up and tips it over the edge so you need to route the deck towards the baseplate.

3 Likes