Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yeah it’s a capacitor

1 Like

Need some help choosing a voltmeter for my 12s build. Currently thinking of one of these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-5-150V-Automative-Motorcycle-Voltmeter/dp/B00NZV7K3G/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=48v+voltmeter&qid=1603217052&sr=8-5

Arrgghh…was thinking back to the resistor, thanks.
China are the only ones I’ve seen use that term.

1 Like

I’m not gonna lie, got no idea what braided means. I’ve found one with all other specs matching but the size. Becoming a real pain in the ass :joy:

1 Like

Digi-Key has the size but with a +/-22% X7S tolerance instead of the +/-15% X7R tolerance they listed. Not sure where they got 10% from as that would be X7P.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GRM188C71E225KE11D/490-12732-1-ND/5797701

Looks like there are lots of X5R’s in that size/value. That’s an 85°C rating instead of the 125°C rating of X7R. Or if the solder pads are large enough you might fit an 0805 on them. Or you could stack two 1.1uF 0603 X7R caps.

It’s your call for which is the best way to go. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve never tried, but I’ve heard that the preferred way to do it is to set up a vesc>>>phone>>>computer bridge. @b264 mentioned that a while back I think.

2 Likes

No reason you can’t use an mtb on the street. I’d take my mtb on the street without a second thought, my carver is staying on the tarmac, gravel at the worst.

That’s really helpful man, thank you. I’m no good at microelectronic stuff. If I go with a higher Tolerance rating, such as with the X7s they have, is that likely to be bad for the FSESC? Also using a lower temp rating like the X5R?

It should be fine. Unless the exact capacitance is something critical (R/C oscillator for timing or something), a little variability shouldn’t bork anything. Same with the temperature rating. Unless your boards are routinely exceeding 85 degrees C, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Cheers!!

1 Like

Yea…umm…what @MysticalDork said. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Guys with hummie decks out there: how do you route the phase wires?

2 Likes

Top mounted trucks allows you to feed them through the drop-through cavity, alternatively P-Clamped down beside the trucks running parallel to the baseplate.

2 Likes

How do I bridge it? Do I connect my laptop to my phone via bluetooth?

Connect your 'droid to a wifi network that your laptop or desktop is also connected to. Go to the right tab “Developer” and select “Run TCP Server” on the default port. Then on your laptop/desktop, select “Connection”, select the “TCP” tab and click the “Connect” button

Program away!

2 Likes

Yeah I had a vesc 6 one and rewired it. I don’t have pictures and don’t want to take apart my enclosure. It should be somewhere on the forum. Ill have to try and find it again.

I just charged my 10s5p battery (30q) for the first time in a long time (it was stored at 37.7 v), and the unity is reading 42.3v, should I be concerned?

Also charger led did not switch to “not charging” even though enough time had passed fo a full charge.

Any advise?

I would check the charger to make sure it’s outputting 42V

2 Likes

1: what @b264 said
2: after so much time, assuming charger outputs around 42v, the bms needs to balance the cells. IF the charger is the right one, let the bms take care of the cells, maybe overnight, left on charge in a fireproof place to be extra cautious. Some chargers don’t* shut down on the balancing stage, others are not so sensitive and show green while there

1 Like