Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Oh, no, to explain:

The connector is a spare connector i use to see if the battery is charging. I have one completely wrapped up. Secondly, I’ve opened the shrink-wrap myself to see if my wires were the issues. I might have to open the rest and see if something is wrong.

Idk what type of bms is installed, but it probably is a 10s since this is a 10s5p flexible pack.

1 Like

If you are going to replace it all might as well cut it all open and have a proper look. Be careful though and use non conductive scissors if you can!

1 Like

Can somebody please point me to hub motors that would allow me to convert the Backfire Mini into a 4WD with these motors? Or any good hub motors for that matter?

Anyone knows what’s the height of the gap between sections on Trampa HS11/HolyPro 35 DS enclosure from eboardsperu.com?
I didn’t get it yet and I want to start welding the cells already.

Doesn’t look llike anything broke on the bms part.

I probably may have to re solder a new bms to this…

Fuck me sideways, that’s not a BMS I’ve ever seen.
Maybe someone else can help you out, thanks for the pics though!

3 Likes

thanks for the help at least.

Edit: I’ll probably make this a non flexible pack. It would be better for my builds in the future. No more worrying about carrying this.

I don’t have that, but I’d highly recommend not welding until you have the parts in your hand. Too many problems crop up later, and they’d be much better if discovered before welding happened

3 Likes

If you’re using backfire, you gotta get their hub motors. Unless you’re doing a DYI, then check this hub motor:

You can ask the vendor for two motors instead of one, but take my word for it, they’re powerful. With the right esc, these can go 35+ mph. I’m actually skeptical about making it a dual drive hub just because its 76kv.

Edited

1 Like

If you’re going the DIY route, might as well upgrade to better trucks and a better drive train all together.
How are you planning on powering your 4WD setup @hans_maier. Because I doubt the stock battery has the power. Dont forget you need an addition ESC for the extra two motors too.

3 Likes

hobbywing doesn’t have communication link between two escs together, that’s where they are lacking behind of lingyi esc. even if there is, space is limited inside the enclosure (assuming you want to keep the unibody shape). last but not least, if the esc problem is solved by using tiny vescs, battery is the next limitation, with low amp output and also sag, 4wd will sag even worse. not sure why you would want to do this.

final thought, 4wd defeat the purpose of being a lightweight board imho.

3 Likes

How many amps do I need to power 4 hub motors? Would a 12S2P P42A Molicel with 90A - that would be 90:4=22.5 A per motor and VESC, right - be enough?

Edit: I thought I could may be fit it in the Neo deck?

Might want to get a 3p or more. The amp is fine, its the range that will take a toll.

1 Like

I do not have space for 3p, I think.

thats when you go towards the DIY route. Since you have to fit two escs, at least a 3p or more cell, and make sure you can program your escs so that they can draw the amps you need for your build. You can read @frame response as to why.

I have to forget about the Backfire Mini, because of space limitations, I think. However, I thought I could perhaps fit it in the NeoONE deck, I actually got one of those lying around.

That could work, but I think others knows about that deck than I do. They could answer that for you.

How many Amps have the hub motors you mentioned (could not find it in the description)?

if im not mistaken (photo too crap to recognize which version), it can handle 40A. but in a 4wd setup, u won’t be hitting that limit anytime soon, unless u full blast accelerate uphill from a stand still? maybe that will do it, but u will hit thermal throttle real soon.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you know any other hub motors that I could use? I saw these for example https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/cnc-kit/hub-brushless-motors/bldc-sensored-hub-motor-for-longboard-maytech/ ? Also searched the forum, but could not find any good suggestions …?