Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

You do know that electrical tapes can endure up to 200°F? Unless you purchased those cheap electrical ones from a dollar store and not an electrical facility that knows what they’re selling…

Then I see where you’re coming from. You’re not putting them on a open wire, you’re just sealing the connectors from reopening.

@Leon just heatshrink the connectors once plugged?

1 Like

You can do that. I was waiting for my heatshrinks myself to do that, but, thanks to covid, my mail has been lost and delayed for over 2 months.

Welp, I just stripped my m4 screw for my boardnamics mount. It wasn’t screwing in, and now I stripped it

Stripped the screw threads, or stripped the hex drive?

The hex drive

I would like to still use it since I don’t have a replacement, but I can’t get it to move

Grab the head with a pair of visegrips or similar and use a wrench on the nut.

If that doesn’t work you could also try cutting a slot into the head and using a flat blade screwdriver.

Or you could try a screw extractor.

Then once you’ve got it off, throw it away and buy some class 10.9 high strength fasteners (stainless is soft and easy to strip), and a set of Wera Hex-plus hex wrenches. Yes, they are more expensive. Yes, they are actually worth it.

2 Likes

I work in construction. I’m yet to see 1 single roll of electrical tape that doesn’t leave glue behind and holds on at high temperatures. From cheapest screwfix can source to £5 a set from leyland. On the expensive ones the glue does take a bit longer to deposit on wires though. Maybe weeks.
Endure does not mean pleasant to remove months later, or provide unlimited support in a high, long term vibration environment

1 Like

@Venom121212 each keypress is an incremental change. Just less discrete steps than a potentiometer in a standard remote.

1 Like

To add: wera blacklaser steel, not stainless. The 1.5mm bends like wax

2 Likes

@BillGordon surely it can’t be okay to be using other people’s pictures on your profile without permission?

1 Like

So it acts like a cruise control then or do you have an on screen slider?

Desperate people do desperate things.

1 Like

I hear you. Electrical tapes isn’t the cleanest thing to use. I’m going to leave mine on for a bit longer until I can get some heat shrinks. A dangerous thing.

1 Like

Removing heatshrink voids their warranty I know this first hand so don’t remove it. Swd I’d to fix a corrupt bootloader or flash a bluetooth module. If you can’t update your firmware or canbus isn’t working 100% your bootloader may be corrupt.

1 Like

Right now I don’t have the money to buy another set of hex keys, but I decided to just use something similar to visegrips to tighten it down, and the mount seems pretty sturdy now

1 Like

Put them in your wishlist or save them for later so you don’t forget to grab them once you’ve got the cash on hand.

And don’t forget the high strength fasteners either. I like to get most of my bolts, screws, etc. from boltdepot.com.

1 Like

Yeah. It maintains the speed without me holding the volume keys down. Initially used a touch slider instead of physical buttons and I was concerned about accidental sliding so now its purely a visual indicator of speed.

1 Like

Okay, I will purchase those when I have the chance. Hopefully, the screws will be tight enough for now, and then I’ll replace them in the future.

1 Like