Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

These things are great for driving them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8UTRJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

make sure you get the LM2596HV version and not the LM2596 version

cheers

2 Likes

How do people test the grip of their wheels on turns? Don’t you have to go quite fast to test the limit, which will definitely result in a fall? :frowning:

1 Like

Keep going faster until you loose grip… usually you can feel it getting flaky before they totally lose grip… then change your underwear

4 Likes

I must contradict you here. My mbs 100mm wheels grip like a dream until they just don’t. No warning.
I ate shit twice because of that: once in a real car crash and once braking on painted crossing lines. Both stole the rug under me when i needed it the most.
At least in rain they are somewhat predictable: they ride like 2 bars of soap in a bathtub

@rusins maybe high braking amps and fully braking while leaning on non-drive wheels? I could skid the wheels mentioned up pretty violently at -50A/side. From there you can probably predict what will happen in corners as well

2 Likes

Bumpity bump

Can a Motor be speed locked?

I connected my old hub motor to a vesc but can only get 38km/h out of it.

Motors Amps tested at 27A that vesc tool gave me and bumped to 40A.

Battery 20A

On metr I’d have to set it to 1:1 right?

This

In the rain, just act like you’re driving on ice and you’ll be fiiiiiine

1 Like

Mechanically in the motor itself? Not without a million dollars of R&D.
You’re probably just at the limits of KV/voltage.

1 Like

The esc it came with was set to ~70kv.

Tested on 10s, gonna try 12s tomorrow

ESCs aren’t “set” to a specific KV. They don’t care.

KV is an intrinsic characteristic of each motor.

3 Likes

oh okay. Took it from the sticker of the ESC (Hobbywing)

2 Likes

I think that’s a “works best with” guideline.

3 Likes

That sounds like it could be right.

While we are at it…Bill, do you know about the extra Port Fabi (yes…that fabi) talked about on the “Average esk8 review” podcast? He mentioned that beneath the potting, either below this sticker or the power button there’s a port to program it?

27:34 timecode

First of all, I hate you for making me watch a Fabi video segment. Scarred.

No, I have never heard this claim before, but his follow-up thought that you can use it like a vesc is facepalm.

1 Like

Hey now… first of all, you knew it was him so no bad surprise and second, i gave you all the infos already so you didn’t even have to watch it.
giphy (2)

that’s fabi for ya

1 Like

I have only ever used mini remotes (or mods of them) and now Hoyt pucks too. I don’t think I’ll ever use anything else at this point and this just helps confirm that for me lol.

2 Likes

just me being curious again, but I read a little about flipsky motors and how in the past the 6354 motors were better than the 6374 build wise, but they still weren’t the best. However, they’ve made improvements to the motor and everything, so are they now just as good as tb?

u might cook it the moment u plug 12s into the esc, only the latest 2 version of hobbywing (don’t ask me which version#, they kept it to themselves) can handle 12s (except exway version)

sidenote, only the latest version of hobbywing esc, have “standby” mode (like all the exway board)

Their 6354 motors are dumpster fires quality-wise.

Just been told by them in a paypal dispute answer that my 2months+7days warranty expired on them (been trying to reason kindly with them since day 2 of receiving and riding them).
Avoid as much as possible unless you know you get true warranty from a reseller (you’ll likely need it…)

1 Like

Are there any know downsides to running them directly from the main battery? I mean for integration purposes it would be great not to have a second power source, but I guess it would add another point of possible failure?