Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Are those eBay ones any good?

Anyone know about these

So 60-40 with rosin coper, am i looking for acid base or non acid base , also im assuming i need flux, also the icopropal is needed to clean after the soder is made or bsfore ?

And as far as the wire goes i just twist it togethor and tin it

Anything im missing, hopfully its as easy as i assume

yes. Editing your comments together to not make a dozen

5 Likes

These are the brass nickel ones that break easily.

1 Like

yeah got some proper ones which feel really good m5

gonna have to remove the old ones first though

Hi All,

first post. short time lurker. background: i’m a boomer former skater, getting back into longboarding with my sons. we’ve been enjoying time out on the pavement together. i love carving and at times enjoy the effort of pushing, at times I wish I could just carve :slight_smile:

I built an e-bike DIY last year (using Grin’s ebike.ca kit), and a 14s 52v setup with 13Ah battery pack) and use it for commuting when the weather is nice. But my work commute is short for a bike (< 8 miles) so thinking of building an esk8 board for carving and occasional commuting. I’d keep a 2nd charger at work for juicing up for my return trip home…

So hub motors are verbotten, i get that and why. I have nothing invested currently in legacy belts/gear-drives, so I’m considering a direct drive setup form torqueboards as I like the look of the DD motors and no belts to adjust, and a quieter drive. the 110mm/74a wheels also look fun. (my longboards now are 70-72mm 78a wheels from Koastal, Globe, Landyatchz)

If i want an off-road board with 160mm wheels, I’d worry about that later, so the DD being a limiting factor for wheels above 110mm aren’t important for now, i’m looking at the following in my build:

• 40" drop deck board, countersunk for the e-parts
  • a pair of DD 90kv dual direct drive motors (2wd not 4wd)
  • 12S4P battery pack
  • mini (not nano) remote
  • some on here like dual ESCs and pair the remote with both them for some redundancy in electronics, I’m not against that.

budget, again, boomer so buying a $2k GTR carbon is fine with me, but I enjoy building and want to be able to service things if shit goes sideways, so knowing this, getting in new in 2020, would you start clean with DD motors or still start with a belt driven setup?

thanks,

-hak in usa

3 Likes

yep very good. A4 is super strong… it’s a tad less strong than 10.9 steel but I’ll stop there because you can’t compare stainless and steel

2 Likes

strong doesnt mean good

sometimes the thread is aweful and sometimes the outside doesnt lock into the wood properly

1 Like

often the quality of the material defines the quality of the product

3 Likes

welcome hak!

TBDD motors are great for all the reasons you stated. a few things to consider are:

KV rating: the 75kv offer a lower end torque but sacrafice top end. and the 90kv vice versa.
personally i’ve had my 75kv TBDD at 35mph and thats plenty fast for my skill level.

intended use: the TBDD performance with pneumatic or wheels larger than 110mm you may find disappointing as they are not really intended to be used with pneumatic wheels

welcome to the community looking forward to seeing your build thread!

4 Likes

I have not tried it, the ID/OD dimensions of both are close to each other but there may be length or depth issues I am not aware of.

2 Likes

thanks for the low-end torque info for 75vs. 90 models, the 75kv sound like plenty for me. 10-4 no plans on 160mm or anything larger than 110 wheels on this board, will do a diff type of deck if want them

1 Like

wanting to put 85mm wheels on my 75kv TBDD and see how crazy the torque will be. whenever Dex is gonna start shipping out my order, im ready (my ass isn’t)

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with vinyl wrapping sealed motors?

Is there a significant temperature increase? I feel like I’m riding the line with my motors temps already, but I want them to look nice :v

1 Like

I wrapped my new ones in a pattern, not solid, for this reason. It’s so thin that heat dissipation differences should be minimal but it’s gotta have some effect. Haven’t gotten to ride them to test a difference though.

4 Likes

What vinyl did you use?
I’ve been wanting to wrap some dinged up motors but wasn’t sure what to try.
Just regular stuff or the heat resistant or foil?
Thanks

1 Like

hak,
I’d suggest to buy a Metroboard X and ride that while you build a custom skate :smiley:

Belt drive is still going to be the most flexible, easiest to repair, cheapest, and a good solid choice. Chains and gears and direct drive can all have their own specialized benefits, but together, as a whole, I still think belt drive is the most well-rounded option.

1 Like

I have mine in a thin foil of oracal 651 vinyl. It stays on cars for years in the hot sun so I figure it’ll be fiiiiine

2 Likes

Once i did the foc wizard, can i go into motor config and switch to bldc without needing to modify any other settings?
I wanna try bldc sensored for a bit, see how it feels and sounds, but don’t really want to dive into the settings more than absolutely necessary