Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’ve never ran a chain drive, but just thinking about the application - you’re spinning that chain wayyyy faster than a bicycle will ever see.

Sounds like you’ve got the wrong lube. Maybe look at motorcycle lube or chainsaw lube (i assume that’s a thing).

1 Like

@MysticalDork , Can i solder this antenna back to it’s connection point? I have no idea what esc/board this is, guessing old lingy

1 Like

Pics?

2 Likes

Sorry, was editing

2 Likes

No worries. It looks like the connector on the PCB is still intact, so if possible I’d recommend trying to reconnect that. If not, you may be able to desolder the connector and solder the antenna coax to the pads directly - just keep in mind that it’s a coaxial cable with two conductors, and they must stay electrically separated. The middle conductor carries the actual signal, and the outer sheath is ground.

3 Likes

Hmmm, good to know, thank you!
Keeping them separate while soldering seems above my pay scale. Ill inspect the connection tomorrow, just got a quick glance tonight.
I assume its a presfit connector whut adhesives for strain relief?

As soon as my buddy showed it to me, i knew who i had to ask :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, probably. Those little micro-coax connectors are almost always just a snap fit, like a little lego.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you. With how they have the end attached to the battery, I assume many get ripped out

Yeah, I’d recommend moving the active end (the actual antenna bit) away from the metal battery if possible, to improve the signal.

If the connector on the cable isn’t intact, you can get replacement connectors cheaply online, or salvage one from a dead laptop.

3 Likes

The downside I see to those wet lubes is dust and dirt are going to stick on them really quickly, which is a problem on an MTB with chains extremely low to the ground. Chainsaws have an automatic applicator that gives it a steady stream of oil while it’s cutting, I don’t think that’s feasible on the board.

1 Like

As long as you have the same # of cells, the overall power output of the pack will be the same. If you can, go with 12s.

Hi, are there any tires that fit superstar hubs that are 9 inches. Im working on a printed hub sleeve but would rather have a proper fitting tire. I am not in a position to buy new hubs.

Thanks!

So I’m charging the battery for the 1st time and don’t have a fancy indicator connected to the board but I have the vesc tool and the xiaoxiang app on my phone, however both apps are displaying different %s. the xiaoxiang app says my battery is 74% charged but the vesc tool is saying 17%… which one is more accurate? I have a bluetooth xiaoxiang BMS installed if that makes a difference

have u set the corret battery config in vesctool? in case like this, I would expect the bms to be more accurate than what vesctool says

Also, it might be a separate discussion but i had the motors stop suddenly while riding a little bit ago. I assume this should never happen, but is it common when the battery is low? Or is it an issue with how the vesc is configured? Thank you

I’m pretty sure. I’ll check again tho

can u elaborate more? what happen at that time? ride condition, battery voltage, BMS bypass? do u have a log? or maybe fault code from vesctool terminal / other ble device?

What do they use on dirt bikes? That’s basically the same environment you’re operating in.

Calling @Fosterqc :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I had the vesc tool connected while I was riding but im not sure if any logs were recorded. It happened twice but both times I noticed that the throttle wasn’t accelerating anymore when increasing the throttle and the motor stopped for a moment and threw me off the board.

if u have power cycle the esc, then log is wiped.

what’s ur setting in vesctool? post some screenshot

1 Like