Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Whoa…all contactors will absolutely fail at some point. They do not have an infinite life span.

There’s no way there can be zero damage as it is switching high levels of DC current. Every time the device operates there will be a spark that helps to erode the surface of the contacts.

3 Likes

I see, sort of like welding rods or electrodes on a spot welder.

well at least it’s still a cheaper part to replace than a VESC or a battery pack. and it’d be neat to do something unusual.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of seeing different things being tried, good luck!

2 Likes

after putting this battery together I’m thinking about bottlenecks and the top end of my build.

• The VESC is rated 60V 180A, so I shouldn’t go any higher than 12s or 180A.

• The battery is 12s 180A, good thing that’s the limit of the VESC too so as long as I only touch that for a moment and keep under it for the majority of riding I’ll be fine.

connectors are where I see issues.

I’m only using an XT90S-F and an XT90-M between the battery and the VESC, which is rated for 90A less than the rest of the system.

Motor connectors are only MR60, if I’m pushing 90A per motor at peak output is that not 50% over the rating and no bueno? if I get new motor connectors I really want to find some that can be panel mounted.

Panel mounted connectors kinda suck IMO, but thats not the core of the discussion.

Continuous current ratings really only matter if you are intending to sustain said current continuously.

Have a look around at logs of builds that are similar to yours to determine what your real life current draw is likely to look like.

You’ll likely find that the vast majority of average battery current draw would be in the vicinity of 30-50A.

Motors are likely to be higher, but again, you’re not gonna be blasting around at 90A continuously.

Unless you are planning on tractor pulls, xt90 and mr60 are likely well and truly good enough to suit your needs.

3 Likes

so amass connector ratings are for continuous current? is there some math or rule of thumb to know what’s appropriate for their peak throughput, not just continuous?

also I just want something to panel mount to my enclosure so I can unplug motors when adjusting the trucks or changing mechanicals around. already ordered a set of CNLINKO LP12-6 for the hall plug

This might sound weird, but i’m pretty sure xt90 is only ‘rated’ for a continuous 45a.

Also, IMO its easier to have connectors on wires coming out of the enclosure and make the connection in line. YMMV

2 Likes

that sounds very weird, do you know if that same logic applies to the XT150 plugs?

Never looked at the spec sheet for them

Google is your friend

4 Likes

I would not know what that 60A is referring to, I don’t read chinesish, thanks for pointing it out

You could ask @frame really nicely to translate, or again, google is your friend

1 Like

the more I see and hear this, the less I want to believe it.

Edit: I just said it out loud, no wake-word, and got a response from my Google Home. creepy.

2 Likes

That kind of “sticking your head in the sand” response will make it tougher to learn new things. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

google is an extremely creepy mega-corporation that sells harvested user data to fund itself. I do not believe that thinking of google as my friend is healthy or intelligent.

google is useful. google is not “my friend”

You might be taking his statement a little too literally.
It merely means Google can be exploited by us to give us information as useful as what a friend might give us.

3 Likes

I’ve never had a friend with as much knowledge, ability, access or functions as google, it’s nothing like a friend would be.

I’m not sure how I’m taking that “too literally”

google is a very well known company with reasonably well-known practices.

a friend is a very widely understood concept.

Its a figure of speech. You either want to know shit, or you don’t. You’re not always gonna have somebody around to hold your hand, and google can be an incredibly quick way to find the information you seek if you know how to use it.

Replace google with search engine of your choice if it makes you more comfortable

4 Likes

yes obviously that’s the use of a search engine. it’s a very useful thing.

not my friend though.