Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

What wheels will you be using? Those sill look like they would get wheel-bite on most setups without thick riser pads. You could get some extension brackets from @IDEA or someone that would completely eliminate that problem, but you’ll have a pretty long deck then :wink:

Anyway, a carbon fiber deck seems like a cool choice, especially since your ESC will be top mounted, so the CF won’t interfere with your remote signal. Some people here have builds with hi5ber decks, you could look them up for inspiration!

1 Like

Not riser pads per se but I am using these:

and also pretty wide trucks.
Wheels will be Land surf 165mm slicks

1 Like

Huh, not a bad price for those. However with pneumatic wheels no amount of risers will save you. If the trucks are wide enough, maybe. You might just have to buy a deck and test it out to know for sure.

So in essence, I spent 3 days going crazy because I was lied to?

*because MakerX made an error

But yeah, pretty much.

Let me know if you decide to test it and how that goes

1 Like

They uploaded 5.2 and told people is was 5.3, that’s a lie.

And idk about testing it anymore, since I put their 5.2 file on my VESCs I’ve had no brakes no matter what I do, kinda scared to try the new file.

Lies have to be intentional, and I see no reason why they would do that. It only hurts them in the end

2 Likes

Lies don’t have to be intentional lmao. A lie is a lie.

when I load this into VESCtool, it won’t let me click the upload button, tried both 3.0.0 and 3.0.1

You may have to rename it to VESC_default.bin

1 Like

Why? And it still won’t let me click the upload buttons.

Edit: let me click the buttons when I took the window out of full screen

I try to live by Hanlon’s razor, makes me get less mad at things.

Also I’m pretty sure lies are specifically with the intent to deceive. You wouldn’t say someone lied to you if they just misspoke.

4 Likes

Hanlon’s razor is gospel.

1 Like

The only one I use is Occam’s Razor

No, in essence, you spent 3 days doing that because of fixation.

There is nothing so broken in 5.2 that one absolutely needs 5.3 immediately to ease the unsafe conditions caused by the most ancient of firmwares (hyperbole).

I deal with fixation myself. Fortunately as I’ve aged it’s lessened, but there have been sleepless nights and monnies spent simply because I couldn’t let something go or sit undone. And it’s taken its toll.

Remember that these are all hobby products, running on open source software, and new releases are largely untested despite them being “stable” releases.

While I sympathize with the frustration, it’s important to be honest with how you proceed with your hobby. That includes placing blame responsibly and learning from it however possible.

6 Likes

This isn’t the story. Here’s from my perspective:

Esk8-News: “5.3 is out”

Me “cool, my build config is working just fine, let’s try it out.”

Me: “where 5.3?”

MalerX: “here you go, this is 5.3”

Me: “I can’t get it to stick, still reads 5.2”

Forum: “maybe it’s this issue, maybe it’s this issue, just tear it open and plug it in”

Me: “done all that, still reads 5.2 and now I don’t have brakes”

gets custom 5.3 file

Everyone: “so I guess that was 5.2 not 5.3”

Me: “ok let’s try new FW that’s not the old FW, maybe that’ll help, at least it’s fresh FW”

And now I can’t revert because there’s no 5.2 for the DV6+ in 3.00 and no old file provided by MakerX

This is the point at which things went awry. Don’t volunteer to test beta software if you can’t handle broken stuff.

1 Like

honestly I thought I could, but the problems I’ve been having are getting weirder and weirder with no explanations in sight

1 Like

Sounds like the MakerX product is not working. I would contact them.

1 Like

Did MakerX release their source code?