Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Second this. For a relatively even job, id use my motors to spin the wheel directly on sandpaper, while evenly and carefully applying pressure.

1 Like

griptape is what skaters call sandpaper

1 Like

I’ve got a set of those ABEC clones of you want them. 83mm never used. $20 shipped.

2 Likes

I’m going to try sand paper first.

Do you guys think this fits berg rims?

The rule of “more AH = more better, lower sag, etc” is only guaranteed in an apples-to-apples comparison with cells of the same type on both sides.

If you go from a 10s2p of 30Q cells (6Ah) to a 10s5P of 35E cells (17.5Ah), your voltage sag at a given current/power level would actually be significantly worse, despite having more than double the capacity, because 35E cells are only good for 5-7A discharge each, whereas 30Q cells can do 15-20.

1 Like

If I had to make a nonbinding guess: yes.

If I need to discharge Li-Ion cells/LiPo pouchs to 0V (to dispose), I can just short them with an appropriately sized resistor, right?

1 Like

Yes, or with appropriately rated light bulbs.

2 Likes

or an inappropriately sized tongue if you’re feeling spicy

6 Likes

Currently stuck between getting the eovan carbon s or waiting for the bkb type r. Given that both boards use a vesc, is it possible for the 12s5p p42a + 6354 motors of the type r to output more power than the 12s4p panasonic + 6374 motors of the carbon s?

1 Like

“12S4P Panasonic” without a specific model of cell, is not giving you enough information. “A Ford with 4 wheels”

You need the cell make and model. “A Ford Mustang with 4 wheels”

1 Like

This is all the info I can find.

1 Like

Quick maths tells us that 96A/4P=24A per cell, so it will be a Panasonic 21700 that can supply at least 24A and 4.8Ah

They may be using different cells in the 3p or 4p versions to get the same current output on both, or the cell can handle a higher current but is more limited in the 4p model.

Panasonic and Tesla are two different companies. So that’s “A Ford Chevrolet car with 4 wheels”

Doesn’t make any sense.

24A per cell is staggeringly far beyond the current rating for almost any 21700 rated over 4200mAh except the Samsung 50S. The voltage sag would be monstrous and safety and cycle life would be non-existent.

6 Likes

Panasonic made some of the cells Tesla uses though so those two names often appear together.

4 Likes

They’re probably calling them “Tesla cells” purely because they’re 21700 and Tesla’s are known for using 21700 cells. I’ve seen this kind of marketing before.

2 Likes

The Samsung 50s comes close doesn’t it? The more I look into that cell, the more it seems like there are some problems though…

Your testing showed a rating lower than Samsung which you noted as odd as they are usually spot on. Cycle life testing on ES shows these cells experiencing a full failure around 500 cycles rather than the typical 80% capacity loss, and NKON was selling a batch from a “scrapped electric car project” suggesting the MFG may have decided not to use them after testing.

Maybe a high capacity, high discharge ~5000mah 21700 just isn’t possible yet…

3 Likes

Arrgghhh…you’re right! I have corrected my post. Thank you.
The Samsung wouldn’t fit the “Panasonic” or “Tesla” cell description though.

Perhaps possible but, evidently, just not with acceptable cycle life?

2 Likes