Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Try this:

1 Like

if the grub is already loose, can you get the pulley off?

If you can, and have a TORX bit that “almost” fits you can try tapping that into the stripped hex and unscrew it slowly with some pressure

and or try what @frame suggests…

Get a metal can and fill it with washers, screws, nuts, everything you find.
Stick it to your board.
Ride over some completely ruined asphalt or some shitty pavement
That’s how my flipsky motors sound

4 Likes

That means spending money…

Half of the wera bit is inside the grub screw. No go…

1 Like

yes, but 20 to solve most future stripped screw problem. seems reasonable to me.

1 Like

No problem lots of info gathering dust in the dark corners of my mind, nice to share something maybe kinda useful. I’m still learning a lot about the new chips and capabilities as they come out, it’s hard to keep on top of (like esk8 hardware but at an even more accelerated pace because of :moneybag:). I’m software engineer by trade but am always trying to better understand the hardware side of things and mechanics/physics just out of curiosity and to build better stuff for myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Running one motor in bldc unsensored and the other in foc sensored: what can go wrong?
I want the smooth start but i also really like the bldc sound on low speed, but can’t get the damn sensors to detect

EDIT

I’m in love.
2 Likes

Hot n fresh stupid question:

If a vesc can short phase wires, is that only when current is being pushed through them or simply by turning the unit on?

I’ve soldered up some mr60s for the first time and one of the wires is concerning me… But I’m not redoing it for a third time :thinking:

Damn things are so tiny…

E: it powers on without issue :thinking:

The calculator has an “efficiency” box that does this subtraction. For example, if you are using pneumatics than whack another 15% off this number.

1 Like

Did you tug test it?

2 Likes

Yeah, mechanically it’s on there. I was worried about a short at the solder point

Just threw the motors on to test as well and no fiery death so I’m good :ok_hand:

Just a moment of doubt :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve been moving my phase wires over to MT-60, so I feel you there. There are lies and secrets beneath my shrink tubing.

3 Likes

If you can’t pull the wire off with your hands, then it probably is fine. Don’t tug lightly, give it a firm tug. Not a jerk, but a smooth tug.

3 Likes

These are the moments when I fully regret promising to never change your title.

11 Likes

It was a mechanically sound joint, I just had little extra bits of solder coming off the edges onto the shrinkwrap for the neighboring wire. I tried my best but my chisel tip can’t reach into it :sweat_smile:

I’ve siliconed so it should be covered :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

If i use conformal coating on my vesc, does it make it partly safe for shorting because there technically is something in between?

thats the one. i was afraid it might be a shit esc when i started finding the exact same one on aliexpress haha

1 Like

and I seem to recall you getting all uppity about the quality of soldering done on the Jedboxes…

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

dats what the universe calls karma…

:open_mouth: :crazy_face: :wink:

was mearly joke, no malice intended…

5 Likes

*for the unknowing

5 Likes