Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’d assume it means using the module to drive something that’s not purely a resistor to sink the energy into.

Maybe a motor with a flywheel, as a rudimentary KER system, for example.

3 Likes

Ahh….okay, thanks. I edited out my rants and deleted a post.

It seems to be what I was referring to in my post, a “free-wheeling” diode to absorb the voltage spike created by an inductive load when the current is stopped.

What doesn’t make sense is that feature #8 in the manual refers to a diode like this and there appears, possibly, to be two diodes located next to the MOSFET on the circuit board.

I don’t understand why the manual’s Next Step Considerations mentions adding free-wheeling support (diodes?) to handle inductive (or more inductive) loads if the board already has these diodes.

Maybe adding ones that can handle a lot more power, to absorb larger/longer voltage spikes from bigger indicative loads?

Not very good documentation, to put it mildly. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Extra inductance. Much better, super more hardcore for only the best of riders!
LEETTSS GOOOOOO

4 Likes

I can help you understand why. Engineers love creating circuit boards and code, but dislike creating user manuals.

It’s probably already the next revision but the manual never got updated. Maybe?

2 Likes

I agree.

Engineers are the last people to use for writing any sort of instructions/user manuals though. They have, perhaps, lots of knowledge about the product but typically have no idea how to effectively pass that knowledge to someone else. Using engineers is a great way to create junk documentation for anything read by the public.

Engineers writing for other engineers (things like datasheets) can work but is still often hit & miss for the reason you mentioned.

Technical writers need to be used, interviewing the engineers to get the info they need and then tailoring the documentation for the technical level of the intended audience.

All this assumes that the documentation work was started early and not something banged out in a weekend, an all-too-common occurrence. Something good rarely comes out of that kind of work.

I personally really enjoy doing the documentation for my products. It can sometimes be a PITA when the schedule is tight but otherwise I find it very relaxing.

Could be…
Another example then of crappy documentation.

Exactly. This is why the community needs good YouTubers to get off their asses and actually edit the damn videos.

I am speaking to myself here.

Kicks myself in the ass

Note to self…stop making everything about me. Bad YouTuber.

5 Likes

I’m trying to make my vx1 remote work over UART. It is connected but when turning the throttle the wheels cog/spin with a lot of vibrations forwards and backwards. In vesc tool I set the app setting to UART only. Baudrate 115200. I know that it is physically connected well since I bought a second hand board, vesc etc already mounted on the board. Motor detection runs flawlessly (motors spinning fast and well). Oh and FW version 5.2.
Checked metr logs as well. Motor current goes as high as 45A.

Edit: fixed it, had my sensor wires plugged in wrong

might need to flip Tx and Rx, that worked for me.

For rkp trucks, is it absolutely necessary to have both trucks’s bushings facing outwards? What about 1 facing outwards other inwards?

Try it, find out.

4 Likes

if both trucks turn the same direction you get zero turning. you need opposing pivots to get a proper turn from leaning.

2 Likes

dude… DUUUUDE!
wtf?!
That is such a frickin brilliant idea!

2 Likes

Can torqueboard’s 63100165kv do 16s?

It actually is. I agree @Andy089

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

I am as curious as I am clueless:
Theoretically speaking, would it be possible to run, say, 10 of them in parallel to get 100A braking current?
(Taking up the idea from @Battery_Mooch with the EDF, those things use quite a bit of current, so 10A isn’t gonna do much)

1 Like

Mediocre description but I noticed today one of my motors making a metallic noise (similar to if you ping the bell off of something like the kingpin or a stray bolt) while going over some rougher surfaces with vibrations. Had a look at it and the bell has a small bit of lateral movement along the axle - towards and away from the motor mounts. Barely a couple of mm total. It looks like the bell is chattering off the mounting plate?

Should I be worried?

2 Likes

Could be the axle to rotor interface, or the axle retainer clip on the front of the motor.

2 Likes

@Venom121212 reminds me of your jumping can.

Can’t find the gif.

2 Likes

Okay, so I just got back from a ride and I’m unsure if the battery indicator on vesc tool/freesk8 are correct.

I am running a 12s5p p42a pack
I rode for 12.87 miles with an average of 30wh/mi
My battery voltage is at 42.9v with average cell voltage at 3.58
Settings in vesc are set at 21ah and 12s
My gearing settings are also set correctly
Both vesc tool and freesk8 tell me I have 23% battery left
Vesc tool says I have 6mi remaining, freesk8 reports 1.4mi
Freesk8 app is set for dual ESC for my single Xenith v2 esc(I think this is correct but not totally sure)