Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

It is a combination of different methods generating almost 100% torque from zero RPM.
There is quite a lot of work in there and finally we decided to call it Vedder Sensorless Startup, simply because Vedder found out how to do it and how to combine things for ultimate startup torque without the use of sensors.

2 Likes

FTFY?
Doesn’t it still need a temp sensor?

1 Like

The marketing spiel was laid on a bit heavy there (ultimate startup torque?) but thank you for replying. You didn’t answer my question though. If I read between the lines though I think the answer is Yes.

Which would be great to see.

The extraordinarily unfortunate “ASS” and “ASS ready” acronym and phrase created by Trampa were horrifying to see, especially from a large company. That something like ASS could be agreed upon as a good idea was astounding and IMO did a real disservice to the esk8 community.

Across the country, and worldwide, our community is dealing with laws restricting or banning what we love. Any periodical/publication, community board member, or elected representative that was looking to get even more restrictions in place would have loved to use something like the existence of “ASS ready” as ammunition for their campaign against us. It did not point to Trampa as being a beacon of maturity and responsible product development.

For me and perhaps others, “ASS ready” just created a vision of a bunch of young school kids, sitting around a table, snickering and talking about “heh…heh…he said ass”. It definitely never brought up thoughts of an advanced method of startup for me. Thank you again for changing it!

I want to emphasize that this post is not intended to display any disrespect towards Trampa and its marketing ideas. I am only expressing my personal thoughts regarding the decision to use things like “ASS” and “ASS ready”. I feel strongly that a company as large as Trampa has a unique opportunity to represent all the good things we want others to see in our community. It saddens me when that doesn’t happen.

Thanks again for your reply. I look forward to seeing what other advancements and products Trampa brings to this community and others!

6 Likes

A new present from Vedder: Motor efficiency plotting and motor comparison.
See how good or bad your design is…

5 Likes

so it needs temp sensor or not? answer the question

2 Likes

Yes, but that should be standard anyway. You want that for FOC temp compensation for example and for protecting the motor from damages etc.

1 Like

Then why is it call sensorless

1 Like

Because it has no position sensors for the rotor. And temp sensor should be in any system anyway for multiple reasons. The hard part is driving a motor without rotor position sensors like HALL or AS5047 ABI etc. These sensors are fragile and in many fields you want to remove points of failure. A part that is not part of your system will not fail on you.

1 Like

How important is the temp sensor in the actual startup? What if you just hooked the temp sensor to your esc heatsink for shits and giggles?

We want to know the resistance of the motor as good as possible. And a warm motor has a different resistance. That is why you want the temp sensor. Especially for VSS you need to know the resistance as precise as you can.

3 Likes

the motors hit on the little nub that the pivot cup sits in. i ordered enclosure facing mounts thinking they would fit but they didn’t, so I reverse mounted them. I rode around for a while and never hit anything after getting more clearance. Idealy, I should order new mounts but I don’t want to… unless I have to. I was just wondering if there was anything to be overly concerned about.
Thank you though!

I don’t understand why people are complaining about having a temp sensor

We all have them already, we just ignore them. It seems like an interesting idea, and if it’s better to setup than HFI, I’m all in for it. I would wager that even on motors with broken hall sensors the temp sensor probably still works.

3 Likes

I don’t think having a temp sensor is the main problem, rather than the feature getting advertised as “advanced sensorless startup”, implying that you don’t need sensors which is not true as you need a part of your sensors

And Frank kinda dodging the question of if it works without temp sensor at all. If he answered that already, then I might’ve missed it and happily take that part back.

4 Likes

I mean yeah it’s dumb but it’s sensorless in the idea that it’s not hall sensors

Idk it’s dumb naming - at least it’s not called ASS anymore, I don’t have a problem with the temp sensor, but they probably shouldn’t call it “sensorless”

In the past I’m pretty sure he said it doesn’t work without a temp sensor - and that you need additional hardware on the vesc for it

1 Like

Does anyone have PCB shots of the uni1 spintend ubox remote? Anyone know if it’s an already previously known remote with a (custom?) reciever just soldered onto the VESC PCB?

It would be a selling point if it could work well without sensors, so the fact that frank hasn’t mentioned that feature leads me to believe it’s probably not recommended to be used without them. Maybe it’s the kind of thing where it could work well sometimes but it’s very dependent on use case and environmental conditions so it’s not reliable meaning if all the things perfectly line up it’s ok, but if not it’s just not that great.

1 Like

As far as I know the ubox remote was all new

It has its own firmware with horn and light control and a two button interface with combinations that I don’t really see on other remotes

2 Likes

That’s basically just HFI isn’t it

I highly doubt this is the case since HFI already exists and doesn’t need sensors to exist on the motor at all

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It would still be cool to get PCB shots. I want to see if it’s possible to hook up a colour LCD

1 Like

That is an interesting prospect - technically the bkb remote has the same internals as far as I know

Once it releases I can open it and post a pic of the pcb

2 Likes