Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Ok im back one more time. My charge port is only tested at 6 amps. So, i probably shouldnt exceed that. The question is, if im running my motor amps at 50 and my battery amps at 30, is it even worth it? How much of a range extension could it really give me to steady feed it at 6amps the whole time? Is there a math formula i can use for this? Lol.

You’re right, you know so much more about building electric skateboards than we do. Next time I have questions, I’ll just ask you. Thanks for being here for us. Glad to have some experience around.

6 Likes

Hey man if you’re mad you should relax and have a cup of tea or something. Don’t take your frustrations out on other people online with sarcastic comments.

Sorry, I am having a cup of tea while I am looking through all your build threads. Great builds!

2 Likes

If you’re pumping in 6A then in one hour you’ve put back in 6A * 1h = 6Ah of capacity (minus anything lost due to voltage drops and circuit losses if using a voltage converter).

2 Likes

Don’t you find it strange that the vast majority of people with working boards uses these ugly loopkeys, instead of your “much better solutions”?

4 Likes

Ok, i think its worthwhile than. Thats around a 50% boost, which should put me over where i need to be. Thanks! Obviously going to do a real world range test still, but that math makes me confident that its a worthwhile device to have around.

1 Like

None of my working boards (3) have one on the outside. They do fine.

Dont worry, brian is in charge of the joint task force. Helmet police and loopkey police. Both of those things are very good as are his intentions. But i agree, loopkeys arent actually necessary, theyre just a convenient safety feature. I for one think that the ones that fit in a riser are quit nice, and on my next build ill likely include some kind of hidden, but easily accessed, loop key. I like the thought of a big ol switch thats secretly moving the loop key in and out of place. Theres no downside to them, though, besides looks and space constraints, and those are small, fixable issues.

4 Likes

I’m not in charge, I just help when I can.

1 Like

Here’s my semi-yearly entry into the noob question thread:

Can evolve DKP trucks function as TKP trucks by removing the center bit? And I mean like really function, not “yeah if you’re cool with the pivot not fitting in the pivot cup and the bushings being cockeyed.”

Same question for the Flipsky DKP knockoffs.

7 Likes

Heres my noob answer. I dont like tkp or dkp. Thats not the answer its a preface. Yes it can(probably, most dkp can). But its not designed to. To know exactly how it performs, and if you like that, you must try it. Ive used a lot of stuff the wrong way and a lot of stuff the right way, and what matters is if it works for you.

The other question is will it bend or snap? Like do you trust it not to?

1 Like

Funny enough, the only piece of an Evolve DKP truck I’ve ever broken (or bent) is the exact piece he’s asking about removing.

1 Like

As i said i dont like dkp, and honestly i havent ridden tkp since i was like 8 so maybe i just dont like popsicle decks, but flipskys got 15.2 inch hangers. The only reason i didnt order a set to play with was insane shipping. It was 60 bucks for the trucks, 80 for shipping. So i was like ok lemme order 2 sets, and shipping jumped from 80 to 120. But 15.2 inch hangers. So if you do end up trying this lemme know, i want exactly one truck, but ill hop in on a set with you to save on fucking shipping if it really be like that.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of TKP or DKP either.

However on a DKP front / RKP rear it can be cool sometimes.

I don’t like TKP or DKP on the rear trucks at all.

My first esk8, which is currently on hiatus cuz numba 2 needed to borrow some things, runs rkp, but the back one is backwards and around 15 degrees. Its a 29 inch drift board. I love weird assymetrical setups. Hence my need for one flipsky 15 incher to find a home for.
@b264 speed wobbles originate in the back truck when it reaches instability. If the front wobbles, you carve. If the back wobbles, you wobble. We always go at speeds that could wobble. Therefore, the back should always be tighter/more stable(/not tkp or dkp).

@Kai I think I have a set at home if you’re interested/in the US I’ll let them go for a modest price or i could be into some kind of trade. I won’t be home from working out-of-town until end of next week but I can check then and let you know.

I personally don’t like the back truck (or either truck) tight.

1 Like

@GeneParmesan This is a good discussion :point_up_2:

Stick that in your loopkey hating pipe and smoke it.

12 Likes