Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Prolonged exposure can cause issues, yes, but a little while shouldn’t cause any permanent harm.

After you have everything sanded, you should let it all dry thoroughly, then seal the deck against moisture with a polyurethane varnish or similar.

1 Like

After the carbon has been added and all coats have been put on,
Would clear coat work with it?

It depends entirely on the clearcoat - Some stick great to epoxy, some don’t. You’ll have to find that information for your specific one.

Polyurethane is great on wood - All the board edges and exposed wood should either get a coat of epoxy, or several of poly. The carbon fiber bits don’t need it, the epoxy itself is waterproof.

1 Like

Well since there’s already clear on the sides, I can just let that be. I’ll sand the paint and clear off the bottom where the carbon will go. Will I only need one sheet of carbon or do I need to add multiple

That is not something I can answer for you. You’ll either need to figure it out with some math and materials science, or just wing it, and do one sheet, then test the board, and see if you need another.

Ok sounds good, gonna order the materials needed and get started shortly

Dude. Why three coats AFTER curing in the bag???

Please read and watch some tutorials to get a good understanding of what you want to do before you start.

Its a lot of effort and time and cost to do the wrong thing well. Research is key.

That being said:

Sand deck
Clean with acetone or isopropyl
Wet coat with resin
Lay fabric (for this I use UD along deck)
Wet coat again (if needed)
More fabric
Spread resin or wet coat
Peel ply over all wet cloth
Bleeder fabric (maybe two layers)
Put in vac bag
Hose needs to reach to part to get vacuum in all into and seal bag with butyl (well)
Pump on and get a vacuum
Pump off check for leaks
Pump back on till cured
Drink beer
(Assumes you have a pump with a switch to contrail the vac pressure)
Let cure 24h
Remove from bag
Pull off peel ply
Metal file / hacksaw to remove perimeter of carbon around deck (use all good ppe)
Sand paper for edges
Drink beer
Paint edges or clear seal (epoxy or polyurethane)
Drill truck holes

Done

Ross
@glyphiks - did I miss any critical bits - trying to give a two minute guideline

4 Likes

My bad was watching too many tutorials without the vacuum bag so it fucked me up :sweat_smile:, so the vacuum bag I have, it keeps it sealed tightly when you suck all the air out. Wet coat your meaning the resin + hardener

(* unless it leaks)

1 Like

Never has leaked, you take care of the seal, or replace it. Very very slim chance of it leaking. Wet coat your meaning resin + hardener?

Wet coat - paint wet resin over cloth while resin under cloth is still wet (straight away after laying cloth)

When I say resin I always mean mixed resin and hardender

1 Like

So right when you lay that first coat of resin underneath and lay the carbon down, you add another on top

If you’re putting it in a bag and gonna cure it under peel ply and bleeder with vacuum pressure yeah. The resin will all soak the fabric, through the peel ply and excess will absorb into the breather. Make sure your vacuum line is well away from resin flow. The vacuum swueezes excess resin out of the fabric so part is stronger than traditional wet layup done without vacuum (better fabric to resin ratio). You can also use a perforated plastic bleeder layer below the peel ply as well. This slows down resin absorption by the ply and bleeder stack snd can give a pretty decent finish.

2 Likes

Not enough beer

2 Likes

It’s the noobs guide :wink:

• also assumes you start about 6 beers deep
3 Likes

Putting it in the vacuum bag seems much easier and faster to do based on what i seen on tutorials with just basic sanding, adding a coat, sanding, over and over again
Edit: Just saw a tutorial, looks easy as fuck.

Would this be enough?

Looks pretty good…? Dunno what zoltek p35 means? 50k is pretty intense. The stuff I used was 12k… That place sells good stuff but not cheap for me with shipping

I buy my fabric pretty well only from AliExpress, cos it’s cheap. Just need to order 4-5 weeks in advance :joy:
NZ$ 6.52 | 12k 200g UD Carbon Fiber Fabric Unidirectional cloth For Building And Bridge construction and repair

If u message them u can get it on a 300mm wide roll. Perfect for esk8

1 Like

Saw that also. It takes so long to ship tho lmao. For me it shows it’ll arrive November 19th. Know how far away that is? :joy: :joy: I’m going to look up 12k 200g and see what else pops up at a cheap price and will come way earlier. Want to get started on it right away

I know how long it is :joy: I buy a lot of shit from Ali. Mostly basic low cost materials that I’m not in a rush for. Much patience is required. Do something else in the meantime.

1 Like

Maybe I missed something but you made this deck from ply veneers, why don’t you just add a few more layers? No new materials or processes needed??? Too simple?

2 Likes