Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

The tiny ones are fine for precision work, the big ones, not so much :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi guys,

I’m having issues with my motor in which it seems to run ok until after a short period of time, or even turning the motor seems to brake and slow down and sometimes begins to stutter, with it moving back and forth very quickly.

Could this be something related to the sensor wires. I have a HK SK8 149kv 6374 motor that is sensors, being powered by a flipsky vesc. Maybe they are pulling when turning and becoming loose need the motor? I have plugged it in to vesc tool to see if I could set them up again. And got this message after detecting and applying parameters:

Could this be my issue? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

1 Like

Sensors could be fucked, but you should also check with a multimeter to see if you have continuity between your phase wires. If you do, then you have an internal short. If your motor mount bolts are too long, that can cause a short.

2 Likes

Try not using the sensors at all

1 Like

If I do have an internal short, would running the motor without sensors as @b264 said be ok? Or would I need to replace the motors?

No.

Try the hand test

3 Likes

I will definitely try this tomorrow, does that just mean not as smooth start-up?

When it says to connect the phase wires together, does that just mean to hold the ends together? I’m being really stupid :man_facepalming:

Yes, touch the ends together tight

You can also use test leads

Great. Thanks for the help. I’m going to check it out

Hey I also have a question while you are still here :smiley:

I am working on my budget build and i connected everything and i was able to get the motors to spin and everything to just run, further setup is to be tweaked, but it works, the only part is that for the Input setup… i cant get the vesc to recognise the remote… I have a VX1 remote, and the receiver is lit up in blue, the remote shows as connected, when i pull the throttle the motors spin, but i cant configure the remote itself in the VESC tool so that 100% on the remote wheel corresponds to 100% throttle, right now i get 100% throttle at like 35% of the wheel’s spin on the remote

These timings here aren’t recognised by the VESC, they just stay on 0.0000ms (the picture is not from me)

You’re probably connected with UART instead of with PWM (“PPM”)

2 Likes

How do i check that? I am using the mobile app because couldnt get it to connect to my laptop via bluetooth, i dont have a usb cable with the mini usb

Ignore this problem for a moment

Let’s focus on this. [IMHO of course] the mobile app is mostly good for connecting a real computer and not for using to configure

2 Likes

Guess i’ll try it tomorrow, but i doubt that it will help with the vesc tool recognizing the remote controls

phase wires always have continuity :nerd_face:

1 Like

Alright I need some opinions.

I have this 12s BMS coming that I will be using as charge only.

It will be connected to two 6s turnigy 12000mah lipos.

However the space in my enclosure is very limited. I’m thinking about putting the BMS flush with the narrow end of the batteries(which are side to side lengthwise). I’ll put something( like fishpaper) between the batteries and BMS.

Since it will be charge only, there shouldn’t be too much heat generated by BMS.

I want your opinions. Don’t need a fire hazard

2 Likes

Putting the BMS next to the batteries shouldnt be a problem at all. Just make sure that vibrations/abrasions wont puncture your battery. Other than that, put it wherever.

edit: Ok actually it depends on how many amps you plan to charge at. That BMS can get hot at higher amperages. I have had it get a little warm at 6A, but no thing that would hurt anything including your cells. Above that, I dont know.

2 Likes

Anybody know what size bullet connectors APS motors typically come with?