Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I wish I could help you here. Im on that #FuckBMS life, so I dont know a whole lot of good BMS options. Perhaps you could pose this question in the Battery Builder’s thread?

In this context, it means load perpendicular to the rotation of the gear. So your motor shaft wants to slide in or out, rather than just rotating in place.

@Venom121212 learned ALL about this recently haha. He posted a good GIF in the pictures thread showing what was happening.

Edit: Keep scrolling. As usual, Ryan explained it better than me, in fewer words :joy:

4 Likes

Axial load is a load in the direction of the rotational axis. As if you were trying to pull the pulley off the shaft or push it on.

5 Likes

That very clear, thanks. Are their benefits to applying Transverse loads over Axial?

1 Like

In our applications, neither one are something we want. They are natural consequences of the forces we have to apply to move our fat bodies around on our zoom zoom machines :joy:

Ideally you want to limit both axial and transverse loads as much as possible.

Belt drives are notorious for applying transverse loads since have have to tighten our belts so much to limit slipping. That load on the shaft causes accelerated wear on the motor bearings.

Gear drives solve this, and have very little transverse loads, however some gear styles such as helical gears apply axial loads, because of the sloped tooth profile. (This is why herringbone gears are the best on the market, in my opinion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

2 Likes

What series number?

very clear. Thanks. Makes sense about Herringbone gears too.

I may have to do that. I’m also trying to think of other solutions( without a bms,and that will allow me to use my current gear)that will allow me to charge without having to open my battery enclosure.

Another thought. There has to be a BMS that you can literally just plug your balance leads into…

Honestly, for now I may just get balance leads and power supply extensions

12s.

Are there any 12s BMS’s out there that are plug and play as far as the balance leads go? Really seems like somebody would have designed that already

drop-though mounting on a Hummie using Calliber style trucks will cause wheel-bite on TB110’s/Pneummies, right? is there anyway to mitigate that (a bracket, or a mounting trick maybe)?

1 Like

I don’t get wheelbite on 110s dropped, you should be fine. Not sure in bergs but will find out soon!

3 Likes

oh really, thats great! is it close though? what about pneumatics? - ah ok, ill watch this space for the bergs =D

@approachinglogic Which trucks?

2 Likes

BN 220’s. I should have said that i’d heard only with surfrodz will it work

2 Likes

TB CNCs :blush: which are a couple of mm shorter than 220 so BNs should be fine

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s basically just 2 helicals stacked so their axial loads are dumping on each other’s faces :sweat_drops:

5 Likes

What is the metal “cage” called that protects rear mounted motors? Such a simple thing I already knew but today I am drawing a complete blank on this.

2 Likes

50° baseplate, no chance of wheelbite

4 Likes

Most people refer to them as crossbars I’d say

2 Likes