Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

sounds reasonable, guess i was trying to cheap out on cells ahahah
they tend to takes forever to arrive or to cost way too much in here…

i think i’ll go with the lipo, it’s always usefull to have some spare

Edit : yes, range it is

1 Like

Extending your range can also be as easy as changing your riding style also.

Don’t accelerate quickly, and go slower up hills. That right there can easily buy you a 10% to 25% increase in range

I have no idea how you ride, and on what terrain.

makes sens, this comute is a decent flat road, but much people : you have to break and reaccelerate all the time

First just try accelerating more slowly from a stop, and see what happens to your range.

i’ll try that

I am not sure what is causing your cutouts but that sounds really sketchy. I am happy to hear you did not get hurt. If it only happens with the VX2, perhaps that remote is incompatible with Metr Pro. I know you can adjust some of the UART settings in VESC tool, but don’t know where to start with that.

What ESC(s) are you using? Are you using duty cycle current limits?

Good luck sorting this out and please share what you learned about the “absolute maximum current” - this is a point of confusion for me. I was unable to set it lower than 400 amps on my most recent build and don’t really understand the implications.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Since I can’t seem to find a set of Abec bolt on pulley on 40t (need because weird trucks). Would keeping 36t but going smaller on the pulley have the same kind of effect?
The end goal is to swap from 90mm to 120mm wheel but keep the Samish torque

Dumb question but is there a way to read this fault?

Sometimes, randomly, because of flipshite hall sensors i get a decent cutout going full throttle from standstill.

I realise now that it lasts exactly half a second and then it’s back up again but typing fault/faults gives nothing.

Yes, i did change that value to 50ms now at your advice on both sides, but didn’t get the chance to push the board to it’s limits yet

Use the calculator on the top of the page. You can’t go smaller than 15t on motor pulley.
Sometimes a bit weaker torque is worth it for the extra top speed but you’re the judge of that

The only dumb question is the unasked one, so that excludes this one :sunglasses:

Yes. Without powering your ESCs down, connect to them and go to the terminal and type faults

You can also use some bluetooth solutions like Ackmaniac or metr

2 Likes

This is opinion, some prefer strongly a high top speed — and others prefer strongly to reach top speed in the shortest possible amount of time. I prefer the latter

And yes, I agree, try not to go under 15T pulley size on HTD5M

2 Likes

Got bluetooth, got the terminal up, got the “no faults registered since startup” on both ends of the canbus, even though the cutout really happened and left me with 3 angry bmw’s waiting behind me at a green light :c

My first hunch then is somehow the ESCs powered down and that’s why there are no registered faults — or you had a remote or radio problem.

Are you running discharge or bypass? How many radio receivers? Which remote? Is that intersection a high radio interference area?

1 Like

All fucky behaviour on my build revolves around the point where the esc switches between sensorless back to sensors. Full braking, full acceleration, even random stutters after i left the board a few minutes standing.

I managed to lower the sensorless erpm to 2000 and i can do an emergency brake down to that point, i can roll start and slam the throttle with no issues, but in that very small window from 0 to 2000 it’s witch hunting season…

Esc doesn’t shut down since it keeps the range travelled and doesn’t even disconnect from my phone. Running bypass, vx1 in uart mode, happens even in my yard

I’m getting more and more interested in running an external encoder, or just giving up to hfi…

Sounds like a cut and dry case of hall sensor malfunction. Turn them off.

1 Like

I posted this a while ago, erpm switch is set at 4000erpm. In the video i do full brakes down to 2000

A lot of times only one of the three sensors has shit the bed. Is it jerky between 2000 and 4000erpm?

I still think turning them off is a necessarily part of the troubleshooting process, even if you turn them back on again.

Does one motor do this or both of them?

1 Like

Both motors. Now since they are set to 2000erpm i feel safe on the board, although they are still technically shit.

I’m in the process of trying to reason with flipsky for another problem: both motors have a little play in the shafts and they sound horrible on any bumps.
Did anyone get a good experience with their warranty service?

upon further witch hunting
Seems like both motors have a specific spot where they lose track when there’s not enough inertia to push them forward.
Any guesses?