Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I feel like we did have this thread or maybe was just a conversation in an old noobs thread or possibly on the forum which shall not be named :smiley:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/show-us-your-shop-or-wherever-you-build/

Can probably scroll through there and see some things that might be helpful too. On the electrical side nice to have bench power supply or otherwise current limited and voltage controllable power supply to reduce chance of frying things when testing. Little medical curved hemostat tool can be handy for getting wires held exactly where you want them while soldering (along with or alternative to “helping hands” soldering tools).

Materials wise recommend using rosin core solder the keester stuff is good but other brands can be fine as well. Also recommend silicone wire for everything it is just better to work with and doesn’t tear or melt as easy as plastic or other shielding.

2 Likes

Do we not talk about that forum? :eyes:

I was thinking of getting a proper power supply (with continuous current and voltage) but damnnn they cost a lot lol

Yeah helping hands would’ve been nice when i soldered my bullet connectors…

Nahhhh we DEfinitley had this thread before… augh what is it called…

1 Like

@Trampa do you know when you next stock of 9" mudpluggers are coming? I see your stock went down super quickly :smile:

i wonder why lol

Well I found at least one closely related:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/what-are-your-top-10-tools/

Guess I should look into tagging things see if I can keep better track of particular posts hard to search for “tool” related posts since vesc tool mentioned so much.

3 Likes

Great catch; done.

1 Like

I would need to check that. They are in production at this stage.

1 Like

@Trampa

What is the difference between VESC6 mk 3 and mk 4?

Thanks

1 Like

The IMU differs. MK IV uses the BMI 160

2 Likes

Does anyone know what might be causing my belt to move from one side of the pulley to the other?

Misaligned motor plate? Uneven truck cut? (to fit the wheel pulley in cal2 trucks)

Misalignment somewhere in the system. Probably the plane of the motor mount is not normal to the centerline of the axle/truck. Only takes a tiny fraction of a degree to cause it.

Could also be the mount itself bending, or the motor shaft, or a million other things.
Basically treat everything as if it’s made of rubber and you won’t be disappointed.

That amount of migration is probably acceptable though.

5 Likes

It’s kinda hard misaligning the clamp on those trucks, and it doesn’t look like your wheel pulley is crooked, so I would check to see if the motor plate is even remotely bent

But I agree that it’s not a big deal if it moved that much

3 Likes

Im building a 12s7p p42a battery and want to be able to pull 160 amps continuous from it (80a per motor), do I need to wire each series connection to be able to carry 160 amps? So 4x 8ga. stranded wire per series connection, or is it cumulative as in all the series connections need to handle a total of at least 160 amps?

Yes.

No, double 10AWG is okay for each series connection and two 10AWG exiting the battery (two red 10AWG and two black 10AWG), probably each pair going to its own XT90

But I must ask, 160A continuous at 12S is an assload of power. Are you trying to hit 70mph? Or just beat a musclecar off the line?

Continuous and Peak (or Instantaneous) are vastly different

5 Likes

I don’t expect to actually use that much current but since the motors (tb 6380) and Vesc are rated for 80a cont. each I didn’t want to leave anything on the table by under building the battery. I suspect the motors getting hot will be the limiting factor anyway based on the current setup.

Nice, I like that idea don’t need a splitter for the esc’s anymore.

5 Likes

Recommendations for extended caliber 2 style trucks that aren’t from BN or TB? Tb has been out of stock for a while now (kinda salty their site didn’t reflect that) and I’d prefer to not spend as much as how much the BN ones cost (though if there aren’t any other good options in the US I’ll probably go with them)

BN are the cheapest CNC trucks you can get I’m afraid. Trampa and 3d servisas cost more.

4 Likes

The new generation of Boardnamics trucks and mounts are absolutely spectacular, I think the fixed axles are out of stock so you need to fuck with shoulder bolts and the inner threads may need cleaning but other than that they are amazing quality and they go together without issues. However I would try and source some M4x20 socket head bolts and M4 nylock nuts to connect the mount plate to the clamp and then you can use the M4x8 socket head bolts as motor face plate screws

4 Likes

You could try and sweet talk @BuildKitBoards into selling some truck’s. They aren’t listed on his site atm though.