Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Any threads with lists of must-have tools, or just solid tools in general?

Also, is this legit? I thought they were out of business?

2 Likes

That shop is confirmed to be JP - I wouldn’t buy from there.

2 Likes

@b264 get in here, we need u :crazy_face:
im gonna say first must have is wera hex-plus

nope, just get TBv6 or if u must have a dual, then stormcore 60D or 100D

5 Likes

Calipers
GOOD hex keys like Wera Hex Plus or something
Soldering equipment
Multimeter
Wiper arm puller
Epoxy​
Fishpaper
Neutral cure silicone
Closed cell foam
Loctite 290
esk8 news forums
Laptop or desktop computer. I don’t recommend using a smartphone for ESC programming

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Do you have a photo of the pieces you need to connect?

Boxes upon boxes of heatshrinks in varying sizes and colors.

2 Likes

add loctite to that list and you’re golden

2 Likes

I feel like we did have this thread or maybe was just a conversation in an old noobs thread or possibly on the forum which shall not be named :smiley:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/show-us-your-shop-or-wherever-you-build/

Can probably scroll through there and see some things that might be helpful too. On the electrical side nice to have bench power supply or otherwise current limited and voltage controllable power supply to reduce chance of frying things when testing. Little medical curved hemostat tool can be handy for getting wires held exactly where you want them while soldering (along with or alternative to “helping hands” soldering tools).

Materials wise recommend using rosin core solder the keester stuff is good but other brands can be fine as well. Also recommend silicone wire for everything it is just better to work with and doesn’t tear or melt as easy as plastic or other shielding.

2 Likes

Do we not talk about that forum? :eyes:

I was thinking of getting a proper power supply (with continuous current and voltage) but damnnn they cost a lot lol

Yeah helping hands would’ve been nice when i soldered my bullet connectors…

Nahhhh we DEfinitley had this thread before… augh what is it called…

1 Like

@Trampa do you know when you next stock of 9" mudpluggers are coming? I see your stock went down super quickly :smile:

i wonder why lol

Well I found at least one closely related:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/what-are-your-top-10-tools/

Guess I should look into tagging things see if I can keep better track of particular posts hard to search for “tool” related posts since vesc tool mentioned so much.

3 Likes

Great catch; done.

1 Like

I would need to check that. They are in production at this stage.

1 Like

@Trampa

What is the difference between VESC6 mk 3 and mk 4?

Thanks

1 Like

The IMU differs. MK IV uses the BMI 160

2 Likes

Does anyone know what might be causing my belt to move from one side of the pulley to the other?

Misaligned motor plate? Uneven truck cut? (to fit the wheel pulley in cal2 trucks)

Misalignment somewhere in the system. Probably the plane of the motor mount is not normal to the centerline of the axle/truck. Only takes a tiny fraction of a degree to cause it.

Could also be the mount itself bending, or the motor shaft, or a million other things.
Basically treat everything as if it’s made of rubber and you won’t be disappointed.

That amount of migration is probably acceptable though.

5 Likes