Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Well, I went to the vesc site and it did say that it was more common in 4.xx devices. But rip belt :frowning: The necessary tool.

Edited: I’ll see if I can get better info about this. It seems that I missed a few pointers thanks to everyone.

It’s common that people set a higher motor max than battery max

3 Likes

It is, but voltage sag can occur if the battery can’t supply the current that the motors can out draw. Its basically setting a limiter, but on the juice instead of the machine thats drawing it. Like for example:

You want your AC to work at its best, but you only allowed it to draw half of its currents. Its not gonna function right. You want the device to draw what it can, and not force the chip to burn out because it wants more power that its not allowing to supply.

1 Like

Suggest reading this.
(Because I cant explain it… :joy:)

6 Likes

Oh, he explained it better. Thats similar to what I meant.

I’m a mathematics guy lol. Although, this math is basically having your motors active. Especially duty cycle.

Although…

I’m guessing the pwm voltage is the same for all pwms? Just checked… no it’s not…

Plus, this is the most confusing part. How did he pull these? Some of these aren’t spoken about in other motor builds.

Edit: This is what the process should had been:

This is how I’m running my motors.

How hot is too hot for a 6374 motor? Im getting up around 85c not even trying…

120°C is the max you can get. You don’t want that.

Quick question

Can I charge my lipos even though they’re not fully discharged or is that a nono and I should initiate a discharge cycle?

Here you go:

1 Like

I just saw that my Trampa baseplate is cracked. Has anyone had that before? Bought in February

@Trampa

1 Like

But if you set your esc to draw 80 battery amps max, it will never draw more than 80 battery amps from your pack. Even if your motors are set to draw 100A each on startup.

The only situation where battery amps and motor amps will be 1:1 is at max duty cycle, or max speed so to say. At that point the esc will limit the motors to the 80A total your battery can give.

At startup, you can start with 100A/motor while the battery barely sees a 5A draw, increasing with speed ofc

Which part of the baseplate is it?

1 Like

its the corner of the front baseplate

Am I doing something wrong theirs no clearance in between the v6 motor mounts and tb110 when I put the tb110 I put a spacer on first still no clearance

The Esc isn’t supposed to take the amps from the battery at max. It’s a channel. Let’s say you opened your pump to max, but your valve isn’t allowing any loads, it will not do anything with a valve. Some esc makers don’t suggest this, but it is dangerous to press the trigger while the current is going and there is no load.

Your motors should not draw amps. It is the space the water is flowing to, giving it power. The max motor amp isn’t how much its drawing, but how much it can handle in a load before it overheats. Your esc will only take what its rated for, and will put the rest to what is called “peak current”.

This is why duty cycle is hard to find. The equation for duty cycle is PW/T. But it works when there are active readings under estimated time.

In other words for all this, battery max is amps it can push out. Esc current max is the limiter, esc peak current is how much amps can burst out, which doesn’t last long and the reading can be under a millisecond to a few seconds according to the battery’s allowed max amp draw (and max overcurrent draw), and the motor max is how much amps its willing to take in before the wires gets too hot and burn out.

You can test this by finding your battery’s max amp output, subtract 5 or 10 amps (safety) then run FOC. You’ll get something much different. Then go for some test rides. I might push mine to 76/2 or 38A per motors.

you might need to move the mount a bit more away, or push the motor teeth in the rod more.

Is there no more axle space left? It looks like if you moved the motor mounts a few mm closer it would work…

Theirs a rod that connects the two collars so they wont go inward anymore the gear on the back of the wheel makes contact on both sides

2 Likes