Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

@fessyfoo I’m currently trying to make that work, literally right this second

2 Likes

oh dang. I’m excited.

@fessyfoo The answer is yes, it works :blush:

I just did some experimenting

If you connect two VESC with one PWM (“PPM”) receiver on each one, but you also connect the CAN-H and CAN-L wires, you can go through the procedure to set them up as CAN, then once completely done with that, set “Multiple VESCs Over CAN” to False for each one, and each one has independant control from its own receiver, but, for example, a metr module connected to what used to be the Master VESC will still get telemetry for both ESCs.

At least from this one experiment, that’s what appears to work.

@xsynatic

Now I’m going to build a skate from this. I’ll get back to y’all in a couple weeks

8 Likes

The biggest thing is having a hot enough iron. You really only want the solder to go on a small portion of the braid instead of heating the whole braid and having solder run up the entire thing making it difficult to solder onto the next metal. Get a hot enough iron so you can keep the solder centralized and easy to work with. You want that pool

1 Like

Well, yes, but also no.

Doesn’t matter if your iron is a billion degrees, if it doesn’t have enough thermal mass or contact area to effectively transfer enough heat to the workpiece.

The absolute best unobtainium iron would be only have to be a couple degrees above the solder’s melting point, because it could bring the workpiece up to that temperature with no loss of temperature itself and with near-perfect heat transfer with no thermal resistance.

But since that’s not possible, unless you’ve got a truly massive tip, you need to have a significantly higher tip temperature to account for all the losses and equilibrium that happens.

But a decently sized and powerful iron/tip combo (Hakko T12 with a nice chisel tip) only needs to be maybe 350C to get great results, where a shitty underpowered/tiny tip/iron would need to be screaming along at 480C to get decent results.

Best results happen when you can dump a lot of heat into the workpiece in a short time, to keep it all from soaking away (and the solder following with it). Hotter tip helps, as does a fatter tip, as does an integrated tip/heater setup.

5 Likes

Nice!

oh man i would have been a lot more confident but I have to admit something dumb:

when moving to newer vesc_tool 2.06 from something old, I thought I lost “Multiple VESCS Over CAN” setting. so in my head i thought maybe I no longer understood how it works. but… it was still there buried in the PPM section and also the “vesc remote” section for a uart remote, instead of app general section where I had been looking.

The help text describes exactly my understanding of how it works.

Listen for other VESCs on the CAN-bus and send the same control commands to them. Notice that the application only has to be set up on the master VESC

so it’s two part to have it work with control shared over CAN.
1.) “Multiple VESCs over CAN” enabled on the primary.
2.) the secondaries must send a CAN status messages. “can status message mode” in the app general page.

to disable you can not do either of those. but obviously it makes more sense to not do the first one.

3 Likes

I have am planning on using a 190kv motor with a 12s2p battery. The gearing would be 80mm wheels with 20t motor pulley and 48t wheelpulley. Would this give me a decent amount of torque or do i need a diffrent gearing ratio?

You will have a hard time fitting a 48T 5M pulley to a 80mm wheel since the pulley diameter is around 75mm

15:36 has the same gearing ratio (2.4) with smaller pulleys and would be a better fit on 80mm wheels

4 Likes

I would like to have a 36t pulley but i cant find any that support kegel wheels though i will search a bit more. Thanks for the input!

1 Like

Dickyho, Torqueboards, Boardnamics and 3DServisas all sell 36T kegel pulleys afaik

7 Likes

Buying from american sellers isnt a good option for me, prices are really high once you factor in shipping costs. This pulley on aliexpress claims to have 48t and 16t that will fit for a 70mm wheel. All of the listings are like that. Do you have any idea why? Here is an example:

I guess those are 3M pulleys, we usually use 5M

3 Likes

Hit up dickyho. Cheaper out of those listed above. Not us based. Search him and email or pm him

4 Likes

I will give it a shot!

↑also @Anubis. Cheap shipping from the uk and fast @Oxyhadron

4 Likes

What can i use to fill the extra space left over in the enclosure and is available to buy at a local shop?

Looked for packaging foam sheets on ebay but all the fast sellers are on vacation

Maybe old newspaper? May be a jank solution but it ought to work.

1 Like

Rice.
so if you can’t make it home one day you can still eat

3 Likes

Get a yoga mat or similar cell foam and cut it to size?

1 Like

Got neoprene, it’s terrible to press in and in time it loses “pressure” until everything just flops inside