Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Do I need to connect ground and 5v of uart communication port to my arduino? I already have gnd and 5v wired to arduino from the servo port, which is providing power to arduino and hc05. Getting vesc values via uart hangs when im going uphill, no idea why. Wondering if its related to the circuitry or code. It works fine when I’m cruising, fetching data each second. Duty cycle is written through servo port. Uart and arduino are communicating at 57600 baud through software serial

I’m gonna guess wiring/circuitry…
would be pretty funny if the IMU was somehow involved though. and extreemly unlikely

1 Like

That’s the worst kind of thinking… I’ve learned that the hard way…

Looking at you cabling is triggering my OCD…ahhhh

3 Likes

I know, i know.

I’m trying to improve it. Next up are mr60s instead of bullets so they’re all in once place. Cable sleeves will get used too.

I did the milliput method and it was pretty thick and messy. I’d go for something thinner like a liquid epoxy if I did it again.

4 Likes

Can someone please help? I have tried to find the info I need but can’t. I’m trying to work out how to connect my Flipsky VX1 reciever to the Maker X DV4 ESC shown in pics. The port I was planning on using does not have 5V so can I use the 5V that I labelled in the pic? Or does it not work this way??

If you’re using pwm you can literally read the pcb… if you’re using uart, just swap the pins as needed and use 3.3v. i used a vx1 in uart on a dv4 for about 1000km with no issues

This is kind of a general question (sorry I can’t help), but is an arduino needed to send data to your vesc app? I thought all you needed to do was connect the Bluetooth adapter to your vesc?

no.

if your “vesc app” is an app on a phone connected via BLE to dongle connected to uart of the vesc then no. you need no arduino.

if your “vesc app” is code running on an arduino talking to the uart of the vesc. then yes. you need that arduino. :smiley:

[ if your “vesc app” is in the vesc firmware… then you also don’t need an arduino :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: ]

2 Likes

As someone who has only tried the liquid method, with good results, I thank you for this feedback

5 Likes

i’ve seen @Lee_Wright’s video where he wipes a putty (is that milliput? ) into the crevices. and a post from @b264 where he has effectively a mold to fit down into the can. so you can use a liquid and not a putty.

so now I’m always confused who’s doing what when hardening motors is mentioned.

2 Likes

Yep, I put an oiled nylon cylinder into the motor can and pour epoxy around it

It requires a lot of attention to detail but has produced good results for me

2 Likes

What bearing does dickyho 60T pulleys accept and what spacer should i put behind it?

Thanks for your help. I didn’t realise I could use 3.3V instead of 5V. That makes it easier!

1 Like

You could ask @dickyho, he’s on here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Lee_Wright how are those motors on milliput and have they held up ?

Looks like I’m joining the Anti spark XT 90s club.

My skateboard is so compact, it broke the switch itself.

3 Likes

Dude what the hell did you do :joy:

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like