Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’m looking for the female part of a dc jack that i can panel mount, but with one twist: i need it as flush as possible on the inside.

Basically i fucced up, my trampa vescs finally got back from repairs, i’m upgrading the maker-x esc to them, but the charging port sticking out doesn’t let one of the vescs fit in.
I don’t want to drill another hole if i can spare it.

Any ideas? It can stick out on the exterior

Make a 3d printed extender of sorts? Basically mount the jack to it, then glue it to the enclosure, over the existing hole?

Personally I’d just fill in the existing hole and drill a new one in a better location, but that’s just me.

1 Like

No 3d printer :confused:
I was thinking to drill it in the deck, but that’s just asking for water to get inside. Or just fukkit and glue an xt30, seal up the hole with the wires through

3d printing services are a thing, and for small simple parts they’re pretty reasonable.

Hell, I’ll even offer the use of my printer, for the cost of shipping and filament used.

1 Like

Last time i tried a printing service, same city based too, it took 2 months to deliver and took £65 for what i can only call terrible.

I appreciate your offer. I may call for it if easier alternatives fail

2 Likes

Epoxy is the answer you are looking for

See this for inspiration

Just make an external charge jack, maybe turn it 90 degrees so it’s next to the enclosure but on the outside, buried in a tiny mountain of epoxy

3 Likes

I might end up making a “cone” out of jb-weld if this port doesn’t work:

Description claims 13mm clearance needed. With bent pins it might juuuust work

Don’t push your luck, heavy vibration rearranges stuff

But hopefully you get it to work :+1:

And don’t forget the fuse

2 Likes

what’s the amp rating on that plastic jack port?

1 Like

3 amps. I’ll run it at 4 and see what happens

1 Like

then I’d for sure add a fuse like @b264 suggested !!!

2 Likes

What bearings are the aliexpress 6x2 wheels using?

628ZZ

8x24x8mm

At least, according to the pictures.

2 Likes

One more: what’s the minimum axle length needed for them?

Alright. My metr pro unity is not working with UART. I am trying to get a replacement because I believe the module itself is bad.

I think metr will work with me, but if not I’ll need some alternative options. Would appreciate any input.

Doesnt the metr pro unity plug directly into the unity to replace the bluetooth module already on it?

@DerelictRobot is working on a datalogging device but its not available yet.

1 Like

This is true, I just “took my setup apart” (everything only was taped on) When I put it back together it no wanna workie just cog, I need to run motor wizard again.

Yeah it plugs directly into it. I sent my data log to the Metr guys and they said the only issue was that it wasn’t connecting to UART. So either it’s the module or the ESC.

I basically just want to monitor battery percentage without having to install a panel battery gauge. I also don’t want to change my remote( which doesn’t have a battery indicator).

1 Like

No experience with metr but could it work with the other uart port?

You can get cheap hm10 bluetooth modules for that, but I’ve never been able to get them to work. Only ever tried the old BKB ones.