Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

This is the best place I could think of to ask this question: What are people using if anything for storing their mountainboards? Are there any options like the guitar stands that I already know of and use for boards with PU wheels?

I tried searching but storage generally pulls up threads about storage voltage for batteries, hangar generally pulls up threads about the similarly named skateboard part, and stand didn’t help either.

1 Like

Forgot to upload the video demonstrating it. Theres no big temperature difference, even if one side pulls more amps.

i

1 Like

I’ve got all my boards on a giant rack. Mtb goes in one of the bottom spots

3 Likes

I’m putting together a smallish board from parts I have laying around for cruising around downtown.

I’ve got 56 of the LG 3400 mah cross which are rated at 10 amps.

I’m using 190kv 6355 motors with 4.12 tb vescs

My question is about battery configurations.

I don’t really want to run 12s because of the low discharge of the cells and the vescs I’m using.

So the two options I’ve come up with are

• 10s 5p
  • 6s 8p

The main problem of 10s is is the Jenga configuration I have to do with the p groups.

6s is much easier to configure and will fit better in the enclosure.

My concern with 6s is that the board will feel very gutless with the lower power (fewer watts) of the lower voltage battery or that the higher amps on 6s will be harder on the vescs.

Thoughts?

I personally might lower the battery max, especially on those cells, maybe to like 30A per side, and also raise the motor current max about 25% to 35% (75A to 81A)

Those are almost certainly too low.

There is a thread, but lipo are not cylindrical cells, so mind that difference carefully.

They’re using lipo, those are likely already too low

1 Like

I’m not ever expecting to get to 42v. My voltage alarms are set to start beeping at 3.79v so if a single cell gets below 3.8v I start heading straight home (45.5)

This is interesting, the motor detection set the motor max below 70a, I assumed running them any higher then the values supplied after detection might cause problems?

All the more reason to raise them.

1 Like

Not in my experience. But your battery max was too high imho, and even more high with those cells. Don’t trust numbers from people financially benefiting from the sale.

1 Like

You can run them at their rating, especially for bursts, but running any cell at its rating guarantees lower performance and shorter range. Using ultra-high capacity cells at their rating is even worse. :slightly_smiling_face:

I recommend staying at around 5A/cell or lower for those cells to avoid lots of voltage sag when accelerating or on hills.

4 Likes

So with 6s8p 20 amps/side
And on 10s5p 12 amps/side

Meaning… Sigh battery math…

6 * 4*(20 * 2)= 960watts
10 * 4(12 * 2)=960 watts

So it seems like either way it will be the same amount of power.

Or is that an oversimplification?

You would have the same amount of power available, yes, but the lower voltage pack would mean you get lower RPM out of the motors, which means lower top speed unless you changed the gearing or kV of the motors to compensate.

1 Like

This is going to be my I’m too lazy to walk to lunch board so I don’t need a top speed above 20mph.

I’ve got a set of 140kv motors and a set of 190kvs selection depends on the battery configuration I choose

This has been my solution. I tried those guitar mounts and they were too flimsy so I designed these because i couldnt find anything online beefy enough. They use 8mm stainless steel rods cut to length with a dremel and a 3D printed part mounted to a piece of wood, and then screwed into studs.

It fits most boards with hangar lengths more than 165mm

If there’s interest I can post the files for it on thingiverse.

7 Likes

I already routed out part of this deck to fit Paris plates, but I need to drill another set of holes even closer to the end of the deck. (To get clearance for motor mounts)

Will extending the cutout all the way to the end ruin how the deck feels? Has anyone done something like this with a flex deck before?

I too enjoy mounting my boards on torpedo dick-titties

1 Like

If I set up my vesc through the Vesc tool on my PC (plugged in), can i later edit stuff through the Vesc tool on my phone? Or am i stuck to only making edits on my PC?
I’m using a Xenith on 5.2

You should not have any issues making edits on your phone later.

I find it definitely easier to do initial setup on the PC

3 Likes