Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Can anyone make heads or tails of this data sheet here:
YJ-18039-nRF52840 datasheet.pdf (651.2 KB)
I’ve applied 3.3v to pin 14 and everything else accordingly but can’t seem to program the modules with my VESCs via SWD. Should I try applying 5V to pin 22?

1 Like

Yup did a bit of poking around, I’ll link a doc below but the short version seems to be that the Vdd-nRF is for powering just the NRF chip rather than the whole board, because the board has more functions like programming and configuration. 5V on pin 22 (and making sure GND is connected) should work

It also (I think) is an internal node so it goes Vin → internal regulator → Vdd-nRF node → nRF chip, that way you can skip the external stuff if you want if you already have a suitable regulator that can power the NRF chip

Any photos you have would be v helpful just to see the specific board and make sure there’s no problem like connecting to the wrong pin

This is the documentation for a bigger development board with that chip, but it’s from Nordic themselves and if you search for vdd you’ll find the relevant parts. It’s fairly well written
Nordic_nRF52840-DK_UG.pdf (12.6 MB)

This is a bit clunkier and my brain glossed over it a bit but also interesting
https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.jsp?topic=%2Fps_nrf52840%2Fpower.html

1 Like

God bless you, pictures attached of module in question. Will properly program them today.

2 Likes

anyoen tried the spintend 100v?

also anyone got logging from them
i want to know if 100 battery amps per side is feasible

Feeding the VBus pin with 5V didn’t seem to make a difference, still can’t connect to the modules MCU through VESC tool and I don’t have an STLink to try as an alternative. I know the module is at least partially working as it broadcasts a general 2.4ghz signal to my phone, any suggestions?

I want to use my Flipsky dual 4.20 plus with 12s in FOC. In this thread VESC wiki it says that this way of usage will mostly fry the DRV chip… So will driving it in BLDC be better and if so, should I still take a shot and try FOC?

BLDC is much less likely to fry it than FOC is. My recommendation would be to stay away from FOC on 12s with that ESC.

2 Likes

Okay thanks. Will do, even tho I wanted a quiet board haha. But then i´ll ride till I have the money for a new vesc.

1 Like

Does anyone done the discharge mapping for P42A?

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Molicel%20INR21700-P42A%204200mAh%20(Gray)%20UK.html

% V
100% ?
90% ?
80% ?
70% ?
60% ?
50% ?
40% ?
30% ?
20% ?
10% ?
0% ?
1 Like

I think @Battery_Mooch has a graph

1 Like

ahh, The Datasheet Dude :saluting_face:

1 Like

LOL…c’est moi.

Here are some voltage vs mAh discharge plots but this is when “under load”, when being used. You can work out the percentages without too much effort but you will need to choose a discharge current level and cutoff voltage because the percentages change depending on how hard you are using the pack and when you stop discharging.

I do not have the graph for a cell that is at rest, not being discharged. Those voltages are very different.

4 Likes

Thank you,

calc based on that I have 12s5p with cutoff end 38.4V which is 3.2V per cell

should it be sth like that

i could interpolate values in N column (like that) (cause i type it by hand from graph) but it seems to be sort of right. Ill test it on board

% V
100% 4.15
90% 4.07
80% 4.00
70% 3.90
60% 3.82
50% 3.73
40% 3.65
30% 3.60
20% 3.48
10% 3.33
0% 3.20
1 Like

This

Also anyone know a god site for 18s chargers

get a wate on AliExpress

1 Like

Still struggling with this problem. Tried using the UART3 connection on my Stormcore and still has the same problem; everything works but Flipsky VX2 does not display board battery, km’s travelled, speed or amps.

I also tried to connect to my Stormcore through Freesk8 and got the message “Unable to read motor configuration”. Is there any known compatibility problems between freesk8 and Stormcore 60D+ or could something actually be going on with the esc? (brand new so could be an oob failure?). I’m not seeing any issues connecting through USB on the vesc tool

Any major drawback to having the vesc inside a top mounted pelican case for a mtb? (Besides soldering longer motor/sensor wires)

I love the compact nature of this design: WTB-🇺🇸 Stormcore 100D heatsink - #5 by Savage1

3 Likes

Not really besides the wiring

I don’t like running that giant bunch of wires back to the motors but that’s just personal preference

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks for the info!

Another quick one. Should I bother with a heat sink for my 60d? I don’t think you’re using one for you setup right?

I don’t have a 60D, I have a DV6 Pro, so I’m not super sure how hot the 60D gets

If you have budget and time for it, you can’t really make a mistake by integrating a heatsink

2 Likes