Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yup, UL 3135 Silicone Hobby Wire. (680 strands per 12awg 4 ur case)

All of our (correct) wire is tinned OFC. It’s like, a few molecules thick plating or whatever, but it is “tinned” copper, aka why it looks silverish & not copperish.

The issue, not in rc hobby silicone wire, but other types - is CCA, AKA Copper Clad Aluminum. It is complete junk & literally corrodes into dust.

@tech.shit it is indeed tinned copper in our wire. Or at least, the wire we want to be using.

The biggest issue with buying on Amazon at this point is just making sure you aren’t getting sold chinesium or CCA despite what the listing indicates. If not using HobbyKing, I’ve always preferred OG high reputation AliExpress sellers

2 Likes

Lol this makes a ton of sense, I never saw some actually explain this before

2 Likes

I’ve known about it for more than a decade at this point but I’ve still never watched / searched enough to find a video that shows the process for the strands this small… like I know it’s just electroplating (I think) but I’d really like to see a close up & detailed process of how this shit is actually made.

3 Likes

I imagine the strands come off their initial rolls, then get tinned, and then combined into the larger size multi-strand cables

No idea though, would be neat to see the process.

I need to refill some previously used enclosure mounting holes. I’m thinking some kind of epoxy putty. Any proven materials?

If it’s a fiberglass enclosure, the best is epoxy with a thickener.

I’ve used System Three and slowly added silica until it hits the consistency of peanut butter. Or any of the usual epoxy suspects will work

4 Likes

oh im just tryna fill in the holes in the deck lol.

1 Like

If it’s a wood deck, i would try filler putty designed for wood before epoxy

@Halbj613 has some experience in this. No idea how well it worked

2 Likes

will do! lol. im still considering whether im gonna do a skin on this one or just stain n frit. prolly end up skinning it, just to hide the existing holes, unless i manage to blend em in real well.

2 Likes

i was putting inserts in afterwards so mine was a little different
i found wood filler to be to brittle and just fell apart

gorilla epoxy is super simple to use and is perfect for me (become a bit of an addict to gorilla epoxy)

2 Likes

gorilla products are just good. i use their tape for 99% of my waterproofing. hell, the stuffs been holding the pipes together under my sink for almost a year now. it is actual hell to remove, though.

2 Likes

i had some proper epoxy and was such a pain to mix for small things
gorilla epoxy and jb weld are my besties
gorilla just edges it cause it is clear and just looks nicer

1 Like

need some 6900 bearings uk

I got 18 of these in 3 seconds, what should I do?

2 Likes

Turned it off and now it says ‘high offset current sensor 1’

2 Likes

Checked connection of your phase wires?

All 6 adapters are snug and the MR60s are seated, but the enclosure reeks of ozone, METR isn’t working anymore either

2 Likes

Sounds like a fried DRV chip at the very least

1 Like

motherfucker

How do I verify that?

1 Like

Given the smell of ozone, I’d say start digging and look for burn marks.