Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

My question is: where do I get the spacers to mount the motors on the outside of the mount rather than on the inside (see image)

5 Likes

The only time i’ve ever seen this was @rosco fucking around with one of his setups.

I absolutely do not think this is a good idea. Even if you can make it work, I think it will be destined to fail very quickly.

If you must pursue this, those spacers are called ‘hex standoffs’

8 Likes

Having looked at the limiting factors, I believe my wheels are too large for this anyway.
But thanks for the advice!

1 Like

OHHHH

Yes I am going to second @glyphiks advice and say that’s not a good idea and recommend against trying it. At all.

But since I hate when I ask a question and people give an apple answer like “but why?” then I can answer the question. They are almost certainly sold as male-female threaded hex standoffs.

Hope you epoxy the threads.

Cheers

2 Likes

What problem are you solving? Short hangers? I know a few of us love short hangers. (@b264, @glyphiks, @rafaelinmissouri come to mind)

You can put a huge motor on a short hanger if you use a single motor (rear heelside) instead of two motors.

FWIW, if you’re going to machine a custom part, you might as well make a custom motor mount that makes this setup possible:

Can also read further here:

2 Likes

I mucked around with this but never ran it. I used long bolts and aluminium tube spacers.

1 Like

So I have managed to get my motors from 1/4" of the ground to 3/4" off the ground (6.35mm). I know that is pushing it but I cannot get any more room without ordering new mounts. Is this enough to… scrape… by?
Previously, with 1/4" I hit my mounts on every crack I went over. I should be okay now, but too large a rock could defiantly impact the motor.

Alternatively you could mount one motor regular and one reverse, or could run a dual diagonal setup(2 motors, one in the front, one in the back, opposite sides) @Andy089

1 Like

@Trampa i saw you said that the HD60T isn’t quite vesc 6 architecture. Can it handle 12s FOC well and HFI better than a unity?

Yes, 12S FOC and HFI and even Vedder Senorless Startup.

1 Like

I know 70% is the recommended efficiency parameter for eskates with pneumatics in the esk8 calc, but what about a device with a single 8in pneumatic tire and 2 small urethane wheels? There are 2 6374 motors, and a chain drive. 75-80%?

Pardon my ignorance…
Is Vedder Sensorless Startup the new name for what Trampa called Advanced Sensorless Startup (ASS)? Or is VSS a different feature?

I ask because your web site still mentions that the HD-60 is “ASS ready” but no mention of VSS is made.

6 Likes

Yeah, seems calling a feature ass wasn’t a good idea after all.

8 Likes

3/4" (19mm) should be okay for reasonably smooth streets.

1 Like

3/4 thumb width is 19mm

Probably just barely enough but undesirable

Okay for smooth streets like @MysticalDork said

1 Like

Also, why exactly? What is hitting what?

Griptape is a cool thing, because if you wrap it around a longboard wheel or a motor can, you can simply sand the clearance you need into the deck. Remove the roadside bushing — and boardside washer, if present, but not boardside bushing — while sanding.

If it’s not the deck that’s in the way, or if it’s a structural part of the deck you don’t want to sand on, then this may not help.

2 Likes

I’ve actually done this on a couple decks, and scuffed grip tape looks pretty nice coating motors IMO

I would remove the griptape as it helps the motors cool.

But the can is not where most of the heat is radiated from though, a lot of it goes into the motor mount and truck hanger through the physical metal connection. The can is only thermally connected by convection.

1 Like

It is a combination of different methods generating almost 100% torque from zero RPM.
There is quite a lot of work in there and finally we decided to call it Vedder Sensorless Startup, simply because Vedder found out how to do it and how to combine things for ultimate startup torque without the use of sensors.

2 Likes