Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

the simple explanation is the VESC does a lot of math.

1 Like

The setting that you apply to each motor/esc is the amount of battery amps that motor will take.

If you have a dual setup, each motor/vesc should not be set to more than half of what your battery can continuously discharge.

Battery is capable of 100A - Each motor/Vesc should not be set to more than 50A battery max.

The ONLY time that this is different is if you are using unity firmware and focbox tool. In the focbox UI you just set the total that the battery can do and the firmware divides it.

5 Likes

Assembling a gear drive, bn m1’s blahblahblah, i only have one shaft key, but i need to cut the shafts down anyways, so i can just cut the key in half while im at it, right?

2 Likes

I’ve done this many of times with no fail. Just dont make the key too short. I have seen them shear @ short lengths

5 Likes

Took apart my motors because I was worried that I got some metal shavings in them and one can was wayyyy more difficult to get off than the other. Tested and the good one can can slide easily on and off both sets of bearings, the other gets stuck as soon as it comes in contact. Have to push really hard to get it on, and had to use a puller to get it off in the first place. Is there any way to fix this or am I just gonna have to deal? Noticed that the shaft also has some discoloration compared to the other.

Good:

Bad:

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

Perfect, this one was too long to begin with. Damn hardware store had precisely 2 of the 12 bolts i needed so its on hold anyways.

1 Like

Like Brian said, just sand/polish the shaft until it fits. Fine grit sandpaper (400 grit and higher) is all that’s needed, you don’t want to rough up the surface any more than necessary, and the amount of material that has to come off is very small - generally a few tenths of a thousandth of an inch - 0.0001" or so.

2 Likes

Right, so uuhhh (this seems way too simple a question To actually ask, but I am kinda lost here)…
How does one “outward mount” motors?
I guess really what I am asking is: where do I get those spacers from?

If you mean how to connect a motor to the truck hanger, then that’s a motor mount. Places like Boardnamics sell those.

My question is: where do I get the spacers to mount the motors on the outside of the mount rather than on the inside (see image)

5 Likes

The only time i’ve ever seen this was @rosco fucking around with one of his setups.

I absolutely do not think this is a good idea. Even if you can make it work, I think it will be destined to fail very quickly.

If you must pursue this, those spacers are called ‘hex standoffs’

8 Likes

Having looked at the limiting factors, I believe my wheels are too large for this anyway.
But thanks for the advice!

1 Like

OHHHH

Yes I am going to second @glyphiks advice and say that’s not a good idea and recommend against trying it. At all.

But since I hate when I ask a question and people give an apple answer like “but why?” then I can answer the question. They are almost certainly sold as male-female threaded hex standoffs.

Hope you epoxy the threads.

Cheers

2 Likes

What problem are you solving? Short hangers? I know a few of us love short hangers. (@b264, @glyphiks, @rafaelinmissouri come to mind)

You can put a huge motor on a short hanger if you use a single motor (rear heelside) instead of two motors.

FWIW, if you’re going to machine a custom part, you might as well make a custom motor mount that makes this setup possible:

Can also read further here:

2 Likes

I mucked around with this but never ran it. I used long bolts and aluminium tube spacers.

1 Like

So I have managed to get my motors from 1/4" of the ground to 3/4" off the ground (6.35mm). I know that is pushing it but I cannot get any more room without ordering new mounts. Is this enough to… scrape… by?
Previously, with 1/4" I hit my mounts on every crack I went over. I should be okay now, but too large a rock could defiantly impact the motor.

Alternatively you could mount one motor regular and one reverse, or could run a dual diagonal setup(2 motors, one in the front, one in the back, opposite sides) @Andy089

1 Like

@Trampa i saw you said that the HD60T isn’t quite vesc 6 architecture. Can it handle 12s FOC well and HFI better than a unity?