Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Look for the post in there by @glyphiks if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Silicon wire is very flexible and the strands of copper or tinned copper are very fine.

1 Like

its all flexible

the silicone one is still getting hot (not enough that it burns your hands but toasty)

that sounds terrible, get a new esc doe

Then redo it with a thicker wire… I am new to this as well. But I am using 10 to 16AWG for everything.

This says 24AWG is only good for max of 3.5amps: American Wire Gauge Chart and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits table with ampacities, wire sizes, skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength

1 Like

This thread has some good intro info. Including some often used brands, and more details regarding lipo vs li-ion.

1 Like

@simeon @frame and any others who helped thanks so much

gotta my motor open

not sure what im looking for now to fix the issue though.

1 Like

In all 4wd lingyis I’ve seen there is no can bus connection plugged in.
They just use a remote that can connect to 2 escs simultaneously.

2 Likes

What’s a safe operating temp for the motors and battery (via METR)?

Best to keep everything below 100°C max, preferred under 90°C

The motors may be able to get hotter but without specific information about your particular make and model of motor it’s hard to say

Im not sure if I helped anything, but check if ur shaft run true with the can?

Only the newer gen allows that, and I have a 4wd lingyi esc that has canbus connection.

2 Likes

FS 6374 x2.

Even 90C seems like a lot, when the P42A cell data sheet lists 60C max discharge temp and the BMS temp probes are notoriously inaccurate.

But this is my first crack at data logging, so what do I know

1 Like

For the motor that could okay but I’d strongly urge keeping the pack under 60°C max and preferably 45°C if possible.

90°C is frakkin’ hot for a cell and will definitely cause damage. At around 75°C the electrolyte starts breaking down and other decomposition accelerates. The risk of the cell being forced into runaway rises a lot when you’re up at 90°C-100°C.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let the cells at the center of the pack (or whichever are the hottest cells in your setup) get above 60°C max. Keeping them below 45°C helps keep them from aging faster.

2 Likes

This is going to be interesting this summer, when ambient temps regularly hit 38C. I’ll have to keep a close eye on the data logs

1 Like

Sometimes the 45°C limit is just not possible but, hopefully, you never get up near 60°C. That really starts zapping the cells.

Some don’t care about cycle life though and don’t mind replacing cells more often because they’re using the pack configuration they want to use and get the performance out of the cells that they want.

1 Like

LoL yes definitely, sorry for the confusion.

By “everything” I meant ESC and motors. Definitely not the battery. :crazy_face: (The two things the VESC has sensors for.)

1 Like

Does anyone know if the “Temperature Rise” field is defining “30ºC increasing TO 45ºC” or is it saying “30ºC increasing BY 45ºC”? I feel like a moron not knowing what that field defines.

@Battery_Mooch @DerelictRobot @shaman

Edit: After reading a bit further, it seems like that value is defining how much the temperature will rise BY not how much it will rise TO. Can anyone else confirm that is consistent with what they know of these calculators?

1 Like

It’s ambient temp + rise temp. The calculation needs ambient temperature as the baseline to determine how much the temperature will rise at X amp/Y conductor width. So, BY, Felicia.

That make sense?

2 Likes

I agree with @DerelictRobot, it is how much the temp will rise BY. This method avoids having to take the starting ambient temp into account, which causes all sorts of confusion when considering final temps under different conditions.

Ambient Temperature + Temperature Rise = Final temperature under those conditions.

2 Likes