Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

It’s definitely the power. At the end of the ride, it rebooted about every 2 seconds so it was just a flashing white screen. This is before it even connects to the vesc.

1 Like

Interesting… I bet janpom has his QC in check but since you didnt buy the davega I spooged to high hell maybe you could check to see if the pins underneath the davega board itself are somehow occasionally touching something they shouldnt be?

I feel like i saw that as a ‘problem’ some users were having when the davega was in its infancy. Thats probably the last thing to check though, power lines first.

1 Like

Whatever it is, I really hope I figure it out as a telemetry is very useful to me

1 Like

Got any other UART devices you can test to see if its your vesc instead?

1 Like

Remote is working fine. Using a vx1

1 Like

Strange… You said your soldering isnt much good, have you read up on this?

Fck lead free solder, get it gone if thats what youre using now.

4 Likes

I’m just learning how to solder smaller wires. It is very difficult because they’re short and it’s difficult to having the board on my desk and soldering there

2 Likes

I like the method of stripping a cm or two of wire and then intertwining them(or even just creating what is effectively two fishhooks and smushing them together once secured) before soldering, but I hear you on the limited amount of wire.

I bet its common practice but sliding a heatshrink tube onto the wire before soldering and filling it with silicone/dielectric grease (before shrinking, of course) worked well for me, when I could get it to not shrink with the heat that the wire would carry.

I bet you could pester @Scepterr to give you a hand if you really want someone to help you, hes located in NYC as well.

4 Likes

I mean, you kinda just made my point for me. I have yet to see an esk8 running 190kv motors at anything above 13s, so I would deem 18s to be out of the “reasonable” range. And at 13s, that comes to ~10K, which is significantly lower than 18K.

I guess it all comes down to the definition of “reasonable”.

2 Likes

First time I touch these… Can someone enlighten me on order of hardware?
3 speed washers
1 spacer
Bergmeister wheel
Janux mounts
I think torque board clone truck

Let’s do a (hypothetical) thought exercise:

What are the potential consequences of skating in the rain on wet, dirty streets? Assuming your board didn’t break or fail

1 Like

slipping and having to deal with a dirty ass board (totally not um from experience :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

I did this by accident the other day and my power switch (I have a toggle switch that’s connected to the BMS, it doesn’t physically disconnect the battery but it stays in position and isn’t a digital button) locked me out just around the corner from home. I took the board apart and it was still behaving weirdly (turning on and refusing to turn off afterwards, but unplugging the button worked) so I left that part dry on a radiator and it was fine the next day

Maybe I got lucky that that was the only thing that freaked out, I’d take everything apart and pat it dry asap, and anything that’s safe to be heated give a bit of love to

2 Likes

traction problem, which include acceleration / braking and also turning

water getting in ur eyes, each blink causes 150ms of 0 visual, the more u blink the less time u see the road

rain mist lower everyone’s visibility, so if u normally ride in traffic, don’t

5 Likes

this

So much this

1 Like

I’m using 60/40, I’m not a psychopath

4 Likes

It won’t reset. You would merely start getting red blinks instead of green blinks.

lipo batteries arrived today and have sticker that says only 30% charged, please charge to storage asap. how long do I have?
have everything but charger and port as they’re both delayed lol

They’ll keep. Just leave them alone, preferably somewhere cool (room temperature or a little below).

3 Likes

Just a quick follow-up to see what a cell’s 50% charge voltage actually was…

I took the 30Q I capacity tested earlier (3036mAh) and discharged it at the standard 0.2C rate until I removed 50% of the charge (1518mAh). I let it rest for one hour and then measured its voltage at this 50% charge level = 3.735V.

So definitely close to the nominal voltage but that 0.135V difference (in the middle of the discharge curve) from the 3.6V nominal voltage is hundreds of mAh for this 30Q.

Bottom line…nominal voltage is confusing as hell.

2 Likes