Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Your ESC is exploiting the equation “Watts=Volts*Amps”

Your battery has a maximum amount of Watts that it can supply to your ESC, which is determined by it’s voltage (50.4V max for a 12s battery) and by the “max battery amps” that you program into the ESC.

Your ESC can then convert the high voltage from your battery into low voltage to the motors (this is how it controls the speed your motors spin at). When doing this conversation from high voltage to low voltage, it can now increase the Amps dramatically and still stay at the same amount of Watts.

For example, say you have a 10V battery that can supply 10A to the ESC, for a total of 100W. That means that when your ESC is spinning your motor at full speed (aka 10V) it can only supply 10A. But when your ESC is spinning your motor at very low speed (aka 1V) it can supply 100A, as 1V*100A=100W.

As long as it’s within that wattage limit from your battery, the ESC can do Voltage/Amperage conversions as much as it like.

That’s an oversimplification, but hopefully that gives you an idea of what’s going on. Your ESC isn’t making amps out of nothing, it’s converting high volts/low amps from your battery into low volts/high amps to your motor.

10 Likes

1 Like

Thx so much for replying, I’ve been out sick with covid so thats why the late response.

From reading all that I do understand it a bit more, The whole idea is to connect all packs in series to make a 12S2P and avoid having to remove them from the enclosure each time I need to charge. As a BMS with charge and the right discharge seems to be expensive I’ll rather just go for the charge only BMS and call it a day. I do need help finding the right BMS though that works with Lipo batteries or does it matter at all? Would really appreciate links where I can just order the BMS.

1 Like

Daly BMS on AliExpress

1 Like

The amp selections on the LLT site for their BMSs are their discharge ratings right? And there shouldn’t be a reason why we would need to get a 30a over 20a if we bypass discharge?

Correct.

I do run lights and other stuff through the discharge, but even so the smallest one is usually fine for that.

4 Likes

I’m gonna wait for someone else to confirm but I’m 99% sure LiPos use the same BMSs as 18650s for charging. The only LiPo-specific thing to watch out for is configuring your ESC for the right cutoff voltage since LiPos reeeallly don’t like being over discharged.

As @b264 said just putting 12s BMS or Daly bms into aliexpress is a good idea, just make sure you’re not getting one for LiFePO4 cells because they are chemically quite different and have different voltages. I’m a little sketch about sending a specific link and potentially screwing you so please get someone else to check, but this should work:

To connect this style of BMS (where there is only a common port) as charge only, you wire two big leads to the positive and negative and use those for connecting to your ESC (with XT90 or XT60 or whatever your ESC uses) and then the charge port is the only thing you run through the BMS.

confirm

1 Like

Also if you’re in the EU have a look on eBay for BMSs with much faster shipping. I got a couple from mesa components that were pretty priced and so much faster

Maybe, but BMS is something that I need to be able to trust. I’ve had BMS fail and it’s not pretty. I haven’t had a Daly BMS fail yet.

Is this relating to the eBay suggestion or the aliexpress link sorry? I’m always confused if Daly is a brand with lots of ripoffs or are all the ones that look like Dalys actually legit. The mesa folks sell what I thought are Dalys, and same for the aliexpress link

Products from this store:

https://dalybms.aliexpress.com/store/5886245

1 Like
2 Likes

Ah, I get it! I thought the Vesc only controlled the current to the motors and not the voltage :stuck_out_tongue: That makes more sence :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You guys are legends! Thanks for the help! :wink:

It’s one of those “well yes, but also no” kinds of things.

The ESC is, at its core, a set of switches, six in total, that form a three-phase H-bridge. It can apply power in either direction through any of the three windings of the motor, usually two at a time while letting the third freewheel and using the generated voltage ripple on that third one to sense the rotor position.

Those switches are only ever ON (100% battery voltage/current going through) or OFF (none at all). However, the switching happens so fast and often (30-40,000 times per second), that that combined with the averaging effect of the motor’s inductance, effectively lowers the voltage the motor sees.

Basically the ESC is doing PWM: If you have 50V at the battery and you have a 50% duty cycle, the motor will only see 50*0.5=25 volts.

7 Likes

Is there an esk8 meme thread? If not can I start one?

5 Likes

There is a meme thread, once you reach trust level 3 you will be allowed entry. You’re currently Level 2

https://forum.esk8.news/t/w/958

4 Likes

I’ll see you there soon then, ol buddy ol pal ol friend. I’ll die before I stop building these fuckin things now.

1 Like

For as cheap as possible, don’t do all-terrain

3 Likes