Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Would this work if you attached a resistor across the gap first “precharging” the other side? Like, if that’s the case, you could have a separate switch that first connected the resistor, and then one would plug the blade fuse in. Would that work? I don’t see why not.

The resistor side of the circuit would only need a small switch, yes?

Yes, you can have a “Standby” switch and a “Power” switch. Like the old tube amplifiers. The power switch should just short out the resistor.

The problem with that is it’s able to be operated incorrectly. If you leave “Power” on while you turn on “Standby” you might have a switch innards melting session.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s great. I just found some really nice maxi fuse holders that I really want to try using. The blade fuses kind of remind me of a car key.

Just use a car key for the standby switch. :crazy_face:

It’ll work until/unless it doesn’t.

1 Like

How water resistant are motors?

If you don’t use the sensor plug, you can basically submerge them and they’ll still operate.

It will drastically reduce bearing lifetime though, especially if the water has salts in it. Motor bearings are replaceable though in all but one kind of motor I have dealt with.

The sensors are a completely different story and I just recommend not using them unless you absolutely have to. I wouldn’t get them wet unless you personally seal them up inside the motor. SOME motors have this already done, like the new Bioboards motors, but not very many.

2 Likes

No motors in the rain then :pleading_face:

Battle hardened motors might be the better option.

“Battle hardened” can mean a thousand things, is the new essential marketing bullet point, and not all battle hardening will waterproof the sensor assembly. Even if so, there are various levels of protection that can be had.

2 Likes

Good point.

someone recommended a more roomy version of the Peli Case 1200 on here some time ago and I thought id bookmarked the page, but alas I didnt ( searched this thred too…perhaps it was another one). In any case, is anyone familar witht the Peli Case 1200 that’s called like ‘Pel Case 1200 XR’, or someting, a special version of the original where the inside is slightly more spacious (we’re talking 1 or 2cm)… ?

is 2 inches of risers to much? gonna be made out of 1 and a half inches of wood and half inch of standard rubber ones (to ease vibrations)

I wouldn’t use soft risers. I don’t think that’s too much under the right circumstances but it depends on the circumstances. I have almost that much on Bigfoot.

1 Like

need motors to clear the enclosure more
can use hard rubber ones also
what circumstances would this change by?

Send photos

1 Like

of what?

also
is this steel strong enough to be used for such long bolts?
may get 70mm long but somehwere around that length

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KHJKSDT/ref=twister_B08KHHPRMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would advise against stainless steel bolts.

12.9 grade alloy steel is what you want, and 10.9 grade alloy steel will work fine.

Stainless is weak and can gall. But it looks nice.

The apple of bolts

1 Like

cheers thanks
will search around for both the ones you mentioned

anyone know the bolt circle of trampa pattern hubs?

1 Like