Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

What screws do you all use to hold your enclosures to your deck? I’m making a cheap board out of spare parts and dont have short enough screws, so I’m curious about what you all use. I don’t have something to cut the screws either.

1 Like

Its a through hole? Zip tie can hold for maybe few trips :rofl: but I don’t suggest it

nah im looking for actual screws lol

im using the DIYE enclosure thats on amazon for 18 dollars lol. The picture has screws but it totally didnt come with any.

I could try putting a threaded insert into the deck… https://electric-skateboard.builders/t/mounting-your-enclosure/46001

2 Likes

I think im just going to go with brass inserts with some steel cap head bolts. Seems simple and the enclosure is light (only a 10s1p battery and cheap 12a china esc). Thank you though!

I’ll order the same kit they have. it seems nice.

Ok here is a Noobish question I need to ask :sweat_smile:

I understand from a few years ago that FOC top speed is approximately 5 km/h slower than BLDC, I would like to know if that is still the case today, especially regarding Trampa VESC 6+/MKII?

Would be nice if tech has improved that FOC top speed is now the same as BLDC :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not sure which one you got but the long version I had started cracking after just a few months. I had the batteries strapped to the deck too. Hopefully you have better luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi, question for BD Caliber II Motor Mount with Idler Tensioner users:

With:
Motor pulley:15T
Wheel pulley:44T
Center distance: 90mm
B&B belt calculator gives a Desired Belt Pitch Length (mm) 333.5.
But that doesn’t take into account the presence of the idler.
As a general rule how many more mm should I add?

2 Likes

Well I don’t know what you are talking about. What I know is that speed is dependent on your motor rpm, your gear ratio and your wheels. So saying 5km/h isn’t universal. Probably what you mean is that FOC top rpm is lower that BLDC rpm. This you can make up by buying bigger wheels or tweaking the gear ratio, at the expense of a little less torque.

2 Likes

7" is totally fine for a carver :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes I’m aware of tweaking the gear ratio which is why I’m asking :rofl: To tweak or not, hmmmm.

Still going on the assumption that it will indeed still be 5 km/h slower.

2 Likes

I just read a post in the vesc forum talking about that, it seems like it is still slower than BLDC

3 Likes

Short one as I’m using a short 26.5 inch cruiser for this one. No flex at all, and its not carrying a whole lot so I’m not overly concerned.

2 Likes

I personally would try adding just one more tooth or no more teeth for the idler.

Be prepared to have the wrong belt size at first.

Wrap some string around it and measure it, that can help too.

I find keeping broken belts around can assist with this, use the broken belts to figure out how many teeth you need and then multiply by 5mm.

2 Likes

If I bring my DIY cruiser which is somewhat neatly made with a ~100Wh battery would the TSA give me a hard time?

asking if anyone has had bad experiences specifically

Never tried, but I have always heard its best to call ahead to the airline and get written permission to show to TSA and boarding agents. Also a printed out copy of the FAA regulations on 99Wh batteries would probably not hurt to have on hand as well.

2 Likes