Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Will a 3s lipo work to test a 4.12 ESC?

Anyone know if MBS Rockstar II Hubs unofficially support 6.5" Trampa tires like the urban threads? Trampa has shit quality control and my Superstars are all wobbly as fuck or even out of centre entirely. I’m worried it will destroy my wheel gear on the Moon drives in the long run.

This is excellent. Bookmarked, thank you.

2 Likes

I dont have a specific suggestion (the box I was going to suggest is not quite big enough), but I want to drop this here for yall:

It’s an excellent calculator that really helps with planning out the available space in a top box for brick-shaped batteries, such as for eMTB’s.

There’s also this calculator:

Which is awesome for planning out flat packs :slight_smile:

Be sure to read all the instructions for both calculators.

2 Likes

Should, yeah. Im pretty sure 3s is the minimum rated operating voltage for VESC based ESC’s.

2 Likes

This thread has what you need :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, a great resource!

1 Like

Could a bit of water in my enclosure cause the esc to break like this?

:skateboard: :question:

2 Likes

It would be good to see the couple models available compared but I bet they are pretty much the same inside mechanically and just have diff screens battery and stuff.

My next emtb build will have around a 12s8p battery in a pelicase. I’m just weighing up the price differentials between paying someone to make me 1 (as I did on a previous build) and building one myself (as far as I can see these single layer vertical battery builds for top mount are not too hard to do). I would just like to know the setup costs for such a battery build. I already own a soldering iron with kester solder, but would need the spot welder and all the other stuff. How much would I need to spend to get started here?

A lot. As a non battery builder, I always recommend that you get someone to build a battery for you unless you want the true DIY experience, have the time to learn and money to spend on equipment.

A spot welder is in 150-250 euro range from memory (maybe a kweld is less?) You need nickel, 10awg wire, 13-15 60cm 24-26awg for balance wires , kapton tape, fishpaper and fishpaper rings and that’s it if I’m not forgetting everything.
It’s not that expensive in terms of equipment, but it’s a lot of time, and for me, it would be a lot of stress.

Also depends what pack you are building.
Building a so called brick pack (for top mount) is far easier then a flexible pack for example.

It’s up to you in the end, if you feel ready to manhandle it and have time go for it, otherwise get someone to do it.

Totally hit up @ApexBoards customs, I hear they have some sick too mount enclosure cooking in the basement, plus their battery building skilz are UK’s finest👌

8 Likes

If that’s what it require to start building my own battery, then it really isn’t much imo

1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t seem so much. It’s the skills side of things that is off putting, but the top mount ‘brick pack’ battery style does seem far easier than a flexi-one; almost a good beginner battery project.

1 Like

Yeah it would be a brick non-flexible pack…perhaps a good battery pack for a beginner to approach. Kweld is about £150 plus batteries, BMS and extras for around £380 on top…probably save around 200 quid for 12s7p p42a

Hey guys,
I’m trying to estimate/measure the current draw of a 12v horn and a couple of 12v led lights (not to overdraw from the 12V port of the spintend ubox)
I don’t have a power supply, so i tried measuring it using a 9V battery, would there be any difference between the current draw on 9V and on 12V ?

Yes. Depending on the circuitry, the current draw on 9v could be either more or less than on 12v, by up to ~30%.

The lights and horn should have come with ratings though, so you shouldn’t have to measure. Just use the info that’s provided.

3 Likes

For the horn i do have a current rating. Unfornutately for the light i don’t have much info, they are designed as car door/reverse radar/etc… lights and except for the 12V rating i don’t have anything.
But the 30% error margin is better than nothing, i’m way under the 3A limit anyway.
Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

Is this the bottle that loctite normally comes in for 638? I got some from bezos and it doesn’t match most of the pictures of it I see online, and it also weighs less than how much I think it should for a new bottle

There’s also a piece of paper that says ‘new’ taped on the back that doesn’t feel convincing…

2 Likes

maybe this will help

3 Likes