Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Don’t buy MBoards batteries

And furthermore, why are you suggesting it? Where do folks hear about these and think they are good? Serious question. Is this facebook stuff?

5 Likes

You could always go with the LiPo route if you want to save a bit on batteries. Hobbyking’s Turnigy 12Ah 6S that they use in the Patriot build’s only $111 each, and I think their global warehouse is in HK? They don’t last as long as a fully built pack, and you’ll need to either supply a BMS or use a hobby LiPo charger, but it does the job, and 2 should still get you around 15 miles on pneumatics.

yes, 5mins from where i live actually :rofl:

I also wonder where people are hearing about them lol

Just scouring the web for options and they came up. It’s hard to work out the good sites from the bad ones.

3 Likes

But specifically, where?

1 Like

it’s the first hit when I google search 12s4p battery :joy:

1 Like

If only his customer service was as strong as his SEO.

He’s one of the worst.

2 Likes

YASS.

2 Likes

BMSs usually warm up a bit when balancing right? I’ve noticed the temps on my pack/bms have gone up a few degrees over the past hour or two

1 Like

Yeah it’s bleeding energy from the highest voltage groups as heat until they are all within tolerance

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s normal. It’ll go back to ambient when the pack is done balancing. My ebike BMS (an ANT smart BMS, too huge for esk8 really) has something like 200 mA/group balance current, so it gets toasty when balancing most of the 20 cell groups at once.

Luckily once everything is all balanced out the first time, the next charges will have comparatively little balancing, because it’s only keeping up with the slow cell drift, rather than bringing everything inline from scratch.

2 Likes

Which Pelicase would fit for 12s7p or 12s6p 21700?

My local store does not sell epoxy, they only have polyester resin… Can I still coat the motor windings and battle harden the can with that resin or should I order epoxy? I’d also like to use the remaining resin to seal the holes that I drilled in the enclosure. Does polyester resin work just fine for everything that I mentioned?

@b264 this man needs ur assistant

2 Likes

Ahahah I’ve already read that epoxy is better and polyester resin stinks… BUT if it works just fine I prefer to get that in my local store instead of ordering epoxy on the internet

They both smell. Polyester just smells worse
(A lot worse)

1 Like

Never mind… I checked in Maytech’s site and seems that my motors are already battle hardened so I probably won’t touch them. Better this way I don’t have to take the risk of unbalancing the can and fuck it up

1 Like

I think the pelicase 1200 would work great. I was just looking at one for my upcoming 12s8p. However, I decided to go with a 3d-printed design instead.

@thisguyhere think has a calculator for cell arrangements on his website, this one only works for flat packs though

I think someone else might have a calculator for other sizes, but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Also, you could just do it in CAD real quick to get size.

1 Like