Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

so i have a boardnamics 1:2.6 and a 3d servisas 1:3.5 i want to run the 3d sevisas with 190kv motors and the boardnamics with 170kv

That should work fine. Don’t use traction control if you use CANBUS.

Make sure you set Duty Cycle Current Limit Start to 85% or use the variESC tool.

2 Likes

You can get it fixed by @seaborder for example. Anyone with smd soldering skills and the exact drv chip can fix it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But honestly, I would buy a V6 ESC. DRV errors don’t really occurs on V6 hardware. I know people said certain V4 vescs like the focbox worked flawlessly but j git a DRV blown on my first ride so now I urge every to go V6 unless it’s a small urethane penny board.

3 Likes

How could I wire led strips to my board? I’m looking at outlining the deck and would like to switch off the lights with my remote, but idk what im doing lol

exactly what im planning to do by mid this year :crazy_face: v4 is so outdated

1 Like

you need a remote with a relay on the receiver to be able to turn it off remotely.
Such as the maytech remote https://maytech.cn/products/maytech-new-waterproof-remote-control-mtskr1905wf-for-esk8-esurf-with-display-and-wireless-charging-functions

or a mini remote https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/remote-controller/products/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller
(this is ugly but can be modded as such The Avio Mini Remote Mod) it’s a great remote, @b264 is in a very deep relationship with his. :smirk:

otherwise you can use a buck converter which will bring down the voltage of your battery pack to a selected voltage (5v-12v-14 etc…) and have a power button on the board to to turn it off and on.

Or use a 5v led strip and a portable powerbank with velcro and power it that way.

1 Like

Think i’ll try the V6 then😁

1 Like

Dang i’m running a vx1, so ig that won’t work. Would it be possible to add a button on my remote?

I don’t see what you mean? To control lights wirelessly you need some type of radio signal that is in correlation with the receiver and the remote. @Flasher uses a garage remote and relay…
I don’t really like this méthode because you are adding another device to your remote and you have to find a way to attach it , you also need a buck and the receiver of the garage remote… So you need a lot of space in your enclosure and a fair bit of wiring.

1 Like

Short answer, no.

Long nswer:
In theory you might be able to reverse-engineer both the remote and receiver to modify them and add a second channel, but it would be a massive waste of time and effort with no guarantee of success, and no real reason to undertake such a project when there are other remotes that have that feature already.

Either get a different remote that has an auxillary channel, or use a different separate remote for the lights, or use your phone (bluetooth), or forget about a remote and just use a switch on the board.

4 Likes

Wait…that’s news to me? I don’t recall using a garage opener :rofl: which light are you referring to? My lightbar, my underglow or my rear turnsignals?
Lightbar uses a picoswitch in conjunction with the channel 3 button on my remote
Underglow is controlled via a dcdc converter and a Bluetooth module
My turnsignals are from a bike accessory I hacked and sawed the shafted switch into the bottom of my remote

I do however have a relay box and a 4 button transmitter for it. But I’ve never put it into a build as better options exist

2 Likes
  1. This might be a stupid question, but can I use a dual VESC for a single motor setup? (It’s a makerx DV6 and I want use 3 phase wires not 6 like the Unity super single fw)
    Later on I will get a second motor of course.

2. Also, with a single motor the motor should be heelside, right?

3. I will use a regular caliber hanger with this dickyho kit. (only this is in my current budget) I will also upgrade the hanger to something bigger later on when I will go dual (either BN220 or BN270) so it doesn’t have to restrict the motor size. Which motor should I go for that’s about 80€? SK3 6374? I want something available in the EU. And I have some steep hills so I need a motor that’s hard to overheat.

1. Yes u can, but remember to tape up the unused 3 phase wires.
  2. Yes, its better that way
  3. Nexusboard have flipsky motor for less than 80eur, no?
1 Like
  1. not really, because its out of stock plus its not EU anymore so I would have to pay taxes on top of the price (and we have 27% VAT here…) Plus its considerably smaller then the SK3. (SK3 real size is 6386)

Oh yea I forgot its 2021 already :man_facepalming:t2: UK is no longer EU country, then im not sure where u can get motors in EU.
Paging @b264 about single motor hauling ass up a hill lol

2 Likes

Yes. You can definitely use one half of a dual ESC to run a single motor, and leave the second half unconnected and not doing anything.
You can also theoretically use the two halves to drive a single motor, but that’s a lot more involved and would likely need custom firmware to function properly, as mentioned.

I like the SK3 (And SK8) motors, because they have a skirt bearing which makes them much more robust against developing the dreaded can-rattle that a lot of longer (xx74 and xx80, etc) motors are prone to.
They lose a little bit of cooling and power handling by having some space taken up by that third bearing that could otherwise be filled with more motor-y bits, but IMO it’s worth the trade-off.

2 Likes

Thanks, looks like I will be going with the SK3 then!

One more thing, I would need a high gear ratio because I have 115mm wheels. Would 12T motor pulley work with either a single idler or two idlers? (i will buy dickyho short mount) The next available step up is 14T which would give me speeds that are stupid for a single drive. But I really really want to avoid belt slippage. And 48kph/30mph speed (which is with 12T) is more than enough for me with a single belt drive.

EDIT: I don’t want to go with lower kv than 192 because when I will upgrade, I want 2.8 ratio BN gear drives which will put me at 57 kph top speed which is exactly what I want from a dual drive.

question about the SK8, hobbyking says its total length is 126.7mm, does that include the tiny nipple sticking out the can?

Would a common home improvement store drill press be able to drill through any of these materials?

You can ask Dicky if he can send it with 15:44 pulleys,
should get you a top speed of around 55kmh on 192kv and 12s

1 Like