NKON Nickel quality issues *Solved 04/09/19*

exactly, I cant have this pack leave the shop now unless I can get all the steel off and let me tell you, my welding is FANTASTIC… this shit does not want to come off. The stuff I have got off has left a gnarly surface behind and its just not looking good tbh.

1 Like

Why can’t you dremel the welds? Its a shit job but its doable. Even easier if it was a pack built by enertion
boom got another dig in there

7 Likes

have you seen my video above? :joy:

Seriously I will have a go mate, its not looking good though mate

1 Like

I was in the exact same position. I feel like nickel plated steel welds better but I might be making that up…

1 Like

The cells are definitely still fine, just lots of dremel/cleanup work to do.

Definitely not ideal but I think this will serve as a great reminder for everyone to check their nickel before welding no matter how “reliable” the source is.

6 Likes

Also wait over 24 hours. My nickel didn’t show any signs at the 24hr mark

1 Like

Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar for instant results!

4 Likes

Yes, I learned my lesson there mate.

There is still plenty of time for Arjan to sort this whole situation out so I want to see what he suggests which is fair.

@moon confirmed steel does weld far better than nickel. It’s a nightmare getting it off. I haven’t got enough time to clean this up tbh I have a deadline to get this board out so I need fresh cells if I can’t get this steel off in a reasonable fashion tomorrow I will be ordering more cells on my dime (these are a clients cells)

3 Likes

Thats totally fucked. Have to put it on a shelf and carry on then. Hopefully he has insurance for this or just does the right thing. If not then hes lost basically the whole of 2 forums worth of business because I don’t know about you but I will not buy anything from him at all again as it stands right now.

7 Likes

If nkon sobers up and deals with this like a man, then we should consider closing this thread down. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Very happy for that to happen Brian if it’s all resolved correctly but I think there is a good lesson here

4 Likes

You should razor blade Arjan’s name on a strip and let it rust out before returning to him.

Seriously sorry about your lost time and work. I hope you find a way to salvage.

5 Likes

Man this sucks. I really hope this is settled. We only have a few reliable options for batterys. And our community really goes through batterys.
Mistakes happen. I’m really sorry you’re in this situation with your customer now @Lee_Wright
I know you’ll do right by him, because that’s the kinda guy you are.
Hopefully you’ll get treaded the same way as a customer.

3 Likes

Ayy yeah if you where welding like it was nickel it’s gonna be a very strong weld. Hopefully arjan sorts everything out. After all I don’t think the loss of business is worth the maybe 20$ of nickel you ordered.

1 Like

Huh i ordered 117 30q’s from them durning march and got it during april

1 Like

No it was a reship too from germany, took a while to get Fedex tracking.

ordered also from ru.nkon.nl

Same thing happend too me, but at a different time and they told me they were on vacation.

But it only took 3 months.

1 Like

I had ordered my batterys on May 24th and got them on May 30th. Weird

i guess it just depends on your luck, i think they send bulk orders to their reshipper

meaning they probably reach a certain amount before they send to reship

1 Like

@Lee_Wright if you can’t get the strips off without to damage the cells, maybe consider using it as bench test powersupply or mobile charge pack. Maybe add a layer of pure nickel if you get some. The steel strips should still be able to handle that currents and it’s better than just threw them to the trash.

Just an idea. Shitty situation anyway, but that’s probably the best you can make out of it.

4 Likes