NKON Nickel quality issues *Solved 04/09/19*

Arjan needs to learn how to handle critique it looks like.
And he also shouldn’t put words in your mouth as he did.

He should be happy this problem gets reported to him by experienced people, especially when this can be a potential danger.

So if you read this Ajan, get it together and act like a real businessowner instead being offended by real valluable information given to you.

This should make him rethink his product quality, we are dealing with big packs of lithium batteries here.

Or maybe its beter to act after someone gets hurt or someones house burns down?

Oh and regarding not knowing (or wanting to acknowledge) about the grinding test:

Litteraly taken from 18650 battery-safety-guide

8 Likes

I made a video of a spark test, set to unlisted

15 Likes

if they can get fake nickel, what are the odds they get fake cells?

4 Likes

We can be sure they are not testing stuff so it is possible.

Also Arjan is now ghosting me. Luckily I paid by paypal but what am I going to do about the battery pack I have likely destroyed with this?

can you not take the welds off? and wait for good nickel

1 Like

I started to but its hard because I lay so many welds down. Its hard and slow work I am afraid and it may not be salvageable

1 Like

That sucks but that is the reason I test every batch of nickel I get even from the same supplier because anything can happen.

Pure nickel will rarely spark at all while spot welding and nickel plated steel sparks like crazy.

How far did you get with the battery?

If anyone in EU is after some 99% pure nickel strip that has been tested. I have a KG of .2mm x 12mm.

2 Likes

Nobody is stopping them from joining the discussion. Arjan, you are free to join the discussion.

Arjan,
Right now it just looks like you are being aggressive and/or you were intoxicated when dealing with Lee. You really look like an asshat. Like Alberto (eskating.eu) level of asshattery. You do know that your income is because people choose to buy stuff from you, right? It’s your job to make sure it’s real stuff. I would have just kept nicely asking for the brine test results, instead of further escalating the situation with your customer. It also wouldn’t hurt at all if you went in the nkon warehouse and checked the “nickel” that was there yourself.

Lee,
You could have waited until the brine test was done to reply further, but I hope you get this worked out. :expressionless:

8 Likes

I’ve missed some drama. Time to do some searching.

6 Likes

I stupidly welded 12 peices but I was already fairly deep. It’s my own fault, I was like no this is deffo not fake - this is from NKON and cant be plated so I carried on.

@b264 you know when you know you are right, everything is screaming at you that you are correct and you just want someone to believe you? I was just like that and annoyed and a big combination of things. Yeah I didnt conduct myself properly and I lost it a bit with him and I am sorry for that but man I am pissed off with it and his replies.

5 Likes

Just to confirm, copper does NOT sparks AT ALL when cut with a grinder?

Cause I’m afraid I’ve learnt that I bought a sheet of steel plated copper. Fortunately it was cheap.

And @Lee_Wright you did nothing wrong IMHO, there are ways to treat customers that’s all and 60 cells damaged are a reason to be annoyed. What cells do you have? 30q cells? Is it just the welds being too numerous?

This guys shows it really well, the sparks you see from the copper are leftovers from other metals stuck to the grinding wheel.

1 Like

Theres actually a faster way to test if it is pure.

Mix 50% vinegar with 50% hydrogen peroxide and add 1-2 spoons of salt.

^^ should get you results within a few seconds.

@Lee_Wright

Also use a razor blade, a dremel might n scratch deep enough.

5 Likes

Yes I dont think I scratched it deep enough.

Here it is now with scratches I did about 4 hours ago

16 Likes

I know right? Hence the thread. If you have bought nickel from NKON since they were out of stock a month ago then you need to know this as its all going to be from the same reel and its plated

2 Likes

Boom. Case closed.

12 Likes

not really, I have a fucked pack here, 60 cells down the drain and about 8 hours work.

Arjan has been back in touch and things have simmered down to a civil level so I hope we can solve this properly now

7 Likes

No non ferrous metal should spark when cutting with a grinder. Simples.

@Vanarian definitely not copper. No sparks at all should occur. I’m cutting that shit everyday

3 Likes

No it’s a big deal because not only the reasons you mentioned but other reasons like rust and that would create even more resistance. It’s dangerous on our types of vehicles.

1 Like