Newbee helical 4GS gear drive!

@Ean.esk8 I have these long dong bad boys coming to use with the 38/11 set.

What is the ideal length to cut the shaft down to?

4 Likes

Apporx 10mm, slide in the motor gears, you will see

1 Like

I think he’s asking cause he’s going to get them precut before they get shipped out

2 Likes

Personally I think you should go for for the longest you can which is 30mm

1 Like

I just plan on cutting them myself. Easy breezy…

And I would like to to try to keep them as long as possible like @2xbass said.

@Ean.esk8 the shaft can be up to 30mm from the motor as mentioned I am good with that

3 Likes

Looking at the motor gear grub screw setup, I see a couple ways folks could do the installation easier; first one would be to thread in from the inside out in order to clear any burrs; put the allen key down through one hole, thread the grub screw from the inside-out through the other hole; that’ll push any burrs out and clean the thread. Remove any loose bits, do the other side, then reverse the screws and thread them the “right” way round. The removal of burrs is critical to avoid bits of metal flaking off “down the road” and chewing up plastic parts somehow. Additionally, if you’re careful you could thread the grub screws in from the inside in reverse, facing the right direction if you have a way of holding them like a pair of tweezers and some patience.

As a process improvement for manufacturing, you could counterbore the first few mm of the thread hole in the gear teeth to make installation far easier as well. Only has to be wide enough to clear the threads at the gear tips until you have most of a circular thread engagement.

Personally I wish where the grub screw went was just a smooth surface. The hardest part is trying to get the screw in there over a gear tooth. That part of the gear where the grub screw holes are never actually makes contact with other gears in the drive anyway so there’s no reason it couldn’t just be smooth there (or even a flat surface right where the hole is).

5 Likes

Sinced the second batch, we have fixed the thread hole issue, all gear thread hole now is clean and smooth, installation of the grub screws become much easier.

12 Likes

So I now have 5 rides at about 47 miles on the 38/11 4GS I put on my Flux Build.

They are running perfectly.

I love, love, love these drives.

I have them at an odd angle pointing down slightly because of not having room on the Matrix II with the 6485 motors.

But to me it looks killer actually…

But I will probably move them back up when I slap Matrix III on here because that is prudent right.

I am using 151kv motors.
With 7 inch evolve tires I was not thrilled with the top speed.

So I bumped up to Kenda 8 inch and that seems to be the sweet spot.

Today I rode both Fluxes so I also got time on the 55/11
And it also runs perfect!!!

Once again @Ean.esk8 great job on these.
They have really made the ride on both of these set ups extra enjoyable. A really notable and positive impact.

12 Likes

My gear drives arrived in Canada, Alberta (20 days). Everything looks good so far. Waiting for trucks to arrive

3 Likes

Review from Zac Petterson :smiley:

3 Likes

Whats your ground clearance like with those wheels on the 11/38?

Could you take a pic of it somewhat close to the ground? Im eyeing these.

3 Likes

Here’s a photo of my 11/38 with 9" tires

5 Likes

Wow they’re like, smaller than the wheel hub, that’s crazy

4 Likes

That crash at the beginning is exactly why I don’t do bindings

2 Likes

Full binding is fun tho, but it can fuck you really good :rofl::rofl:

p.s. my board did to me one year ago… lol.

7 Likes

Here you go.

I can take more shots if you would like.
These are Kenda 8s

3 Likes

The 38/11s are tiny.
It’s crazy to me.

1 Like

what’s the distance to the bottom of the drive from the truck?
in other words, what’s the minimum wheel size?

1 Like

Minimum support 6 inchs, you still can get approx 25mm-30mm ground clearance.

1 Like