Newbee 3links style truck

If the axel(blue) is welded(red) to the bearing. I don’t think that has any effect on the rotation (green).

Also I’m not sure what grade the steel bearing is, but I imagine that you cannot weld to it reliably. It is likey much to hard and brittle to weld.

I haven’t seen the 3 link in person, but I don’t understand how these rotate and those don’t. As far as I’m aware heim joints are not restricted in the rotation access either.

I am wondering if it’s just the rods on the 3 link restraining it.

I’ll start looking into this a little more closely and maybe model something out to get a better understanding

3 Likes

Yep

1 Like

Must be. The only other constraint is the axel going through the (sphere) in the spherical bearing/heim.

They aren’t you can rotate them, it’s the links that stop the rotation, which is why its important to have your clamps very tight

3 Likes

I been trying to place the link vertical on the hanger side, the movement basically all gone.

5 Likes

No one asked, keep the arguing in your containment thread

2 Likes

I was wondering if something like this would remove the axle play. That is fantastic news. I might have to pick up a set once you dial in these updates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: I have a question if’n you don’t mind, Ive been watching these with much interest, love the development of these. I’d certainly be going a set of these over other similar design options out there.

The area(s) I need help understanding are these, on an impact (Like I fell off and the board runs off into a post) where do the forces go? I worry about it just going through that connection.

3 Likes

I’ll preface this by saying this is a complicated thing to calculate. This would be better suited to 3d model with finite element analysis. That being said I put together a sketch based on intuition which may or may not be right. some food for thought.

Realistically we need to know what the impact force is to design for it. Sure we could assume a 20 mph impact with a steel post and design a 3/4" thick high strength steel bracket to withstand but that wouldn’t be very practical. It should be designed for the dynamic load under riding conditions, not a crashing condition.

numbers aside, gut feeling… the bracket will take a twisting force and tension/compression force at that bolt. With a tightly bolted connection, I would not be worried about that bolt at all. I’d be worried about the bracket opening up or twisting.

This looks like a 3d printed prototype. I think with the right material and right design it would be able to withstand significant loading. I would keep the material thick, potentially add a gusset (pink) and would use an angle section (blue) that has more material behind the radius to prevent bending open.

Hopefully I explained that well and it helps.

5 Likes

Personally I’d like to see a bracket along the lines of this. (not to scale, just whipped this up for a concept)

or a similar style to the photo.

I think the original one in the picture will work though if it is sufficiently thick and the correct material.

Bracket 2

1 Like

Very detailed and valuable feedback! Thanks I’m sure ean will take this suggestion well

Excellent, a CNC’d part. Should be a lot stronger than bent and welded sheet metal

4 Likes

agreed. I had cnc in mind when I did that. I figured it would help to match the aesthetic of the trucks better and maybe be easier to source small quantities.

I think this design would be robust enough to be made from aluminum. I think the prototype shown would have to be moderately thick grade 50 steel (or better) again just shotting from the hip.

I have about 100 miles on these trucks (V2) now and am still getting a feel for them and getting them dialed in. “As is” they are pretty good. I do think the bolts going into the beak require moderate strength locktight. Also my rods click even though I’ve messed with them a bunch. I thick that the updated rods with opposite threads will fix that.

I do think that the bracket shown puts the rod in a more natural position. It looks like it will allow things to move more freely. Also it seems like it will put more clearance between the rod bearing housing and the truck sleeve if that makes sense.

3 Likes

Personally, I’m not bothered if it’s a CNC part of just a piece of metal that is “strong enough”. The new piece holding the heim link on the front of the truck looks plenty strong, and it looks like that piece is just thick bent sheet metal. If this fixes the axle rotation issue, I’ll be picking up a set for my lacroix eMTB.

@Ean.esk8 do you have any idea for the timeline on when we might see these updates available? I see that the trucks are currently out of stock. Do you know when you are going to do another batch?

1 Like

more importantly, do you have a bushing company lined up yet? i don’t think we ever got an actual timeline of that

it’s been a minute and i don’t remember for sure anymore but i got rods with opposing threads and although the clicking lessened, it was still there

The rotation issue is only an issue if bolts are loose. If all bolts are tight, then this is not rotation with the current design.

appropriate locktight will prevent the bolts from loosening.

That said, I think these design tweaks will help the system be less reliant on the locktight, although still needed. It seems like with these latest revisions will leave us with a pretty good truck. I’m excited to see how they perform when tweaked.

yeah the clicking has been bugging me specifically because I don’t know like the exact mechanism causing it. I’m gonna go film a slowmo and see if I can figure out where it coming from.

good luck, i tried and couldn’t. hopefully you have better luck

1 Like

This has been my experience so far as well. I don’t have any rotation in the axle when all bolts are tightened and the rod length is dialed in.

1 Like

Same here

2 Likes