Meepo & Newbee cloning SRB trucks. Same company? (update: answer is no)

Are meepo (which i believe is shenzen here in this china patent. ) and Newbee the same company?

Meepo took @MoeStooge’s work and pantented it in china. i thought that might mean no other china company would also steal the design.

but if they were the same company or if meepo is not the patent filer and newbee is, then that might make sense.

Small business in america gets the shaft either way tho. :frowning:

5 Likes

Was Moe able to get a patent?

1 Like

i’m not sure the details. but i think no.

I think the patent in china also precluded him from working with china manufacturing.

1 Like

Thats for the better otherwise they would have been cloned years ago.
Seems like threaded rods/heim joints/and spherical joints in a rkp configuration might be tough to patent stateside but im no patent lawyer so :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

no, idk about other stuff

1 Like

I hope Moe fires back with his own CNC version of the 3 links. I’d totally support that.

15 Likes

Bouta agree with the @frame meister here. When I saw the patent in the telegram, I thought it was kinda shitty of Meepo. It’s one thing to copy and get inspired from others work but to blatenly steal it like they have done and patent it in china. That’s some BS if I ever seen any. Newbee has always been good to me and I hope they don’t follow the same path. As for @MoeStooge , I’m sorry this is happening to you man. I only hope that you will always get the credit you deserve.

8 Likes

I am prety sure they are not the same company. Meepo has been in the process of copying the 3-link trucks for quite a while… My understanding is Meepo got a set of Stooge 3-link trucks a while back and have been busy reverse engineering them ever since. This is classic MO for Meepo. They just copy other company’s products. They cannot even design TKP trucks properly. I think their version of the 3-link is going to be a disaster.

As for Ean, I suspect his trucks are a variation of he 3-link that he has created on his own.

5 Likes

Trust me, he is working on something.

7 Likes

Ethan at newbee is pretty damn smart. I don’t think he would need to reverse engineer. After I saw the jumas and 3 links, I always wondered if I could do it better and that’s where I think Newbee is.

5 Likes

Good to hear.

If it doesn’t have this
I may pick up a set

11 Likes

The Newbee set is pretty different from this Meepo one it looks like. Meepo looks like a pretty typical ripoff of SRB with some square hanger sections to accommodate drives I’m assuming. Newbee has some other parts that are pretty different from SRB. Different enough that I’d say I would not consider it a ripoff.

13 Likes

Honestly, I would not worry too much. A patent in China means other ESK8 companies cannot make 3-link trucks. It has nothing to do with trucks made in the USA.

3 Likes

I agree with this perspective. I don’t understand why people shelter Moe so much, I fully respect his work and have given him my money

But it’s time for competition. Let’s see some more variants! Best way to push forward is testing out things. Besides, Moe isn’t going anywhere, if you wanna buy his trucks, do it! He has some of the best customer support you can get, and he’ll even help give you advice for how to set them up.

As for the fact that linnpower completely copied newbee’s 4gs, that’s pretty lame.

It’s always going to be a slippery slope of who to support but I think Moe is fine. He is still innovating too. And to be fair, 3 links have stayed pretty similar for a while now it would be nice to actually have a machined place to mount gear drives.

18 Likes

@Ean.esk8 is newbee. Just one dude, nothing to do with meepo. In fact, meepo/Linnpower stole his geardrives design.

I’m not sure if I’m mis remembering something, but I believe Moe was (at one point) encouraging people to release unique takes on the NKP design.

I’m gonna agree with @jack.luis, I hope this pushes Moe to make a more durable and compatible machined version of his trucks. Many people have shown interest in having 3 links on a daily street build, but are worried about breaking them as they’re pretty fragile and have very little compatibility with off the shelf drivetrains. Newbee uses the common 22mm² profile for his trucks, leaving compatibility for his gear drives, and many others. It goes from being this very niche race product to an easily integrated and fantastic drivetrain option for a street board.

13 Likes

Competition almost always creates innovation.

And Moe still isn’t going anywhere

9 Likes

Fake news, at least for HD version. Got some
proof? Doubt you do as there’s plenty opposing proofs.

Though IMO, the non HD versions should have stayed in beta and never been sold

4 Likes

He’s working on something that is close to being complete. Will be applicable to street boards. I can neither confirm of deny my involvement with this.

2 Likes

I know, that’s why I was saying his design is pretty different. I don’t think Newbee and Meepo are the same at all. It sucks Moe is getting blatantly ripped off by Meepo and I am not surprised. Acedeck and Omni/Linn will be next I bet.

These rods do look a lot easier to adjust and having a hanger around the bare axle is nice. They’ll never compete with 3links on the race track though.
Also watch them go through all this effort but the bushings be complete ass.

3 Likes