Newb getting the shopping list together

First time builder. Long time rider of non powered longboards. Been doing some research in my free time the past week and really excited about building a board. I would love anyone’s input or suggestions for parts I should consider or change from what I have so far.

To start I would love a good belt driven AT board around $1500US on 120-170mm wheels with good power and range with a path for future upgradability if needed. If there’s an off the shelf that fits that then let me know I guess too. Not trying to do any crazy off-roading just want a smooth ride for rough urban areas and be able to cut across grass and dirt time to time.

For trucks I’d love some DKP’s that are wide enough to fit a larger motor possibly even up to XX100.

Motors: I’m 220 and live in a hilly area near Portland, OR and would like to not worry about burning my motors or having lack of power. I’d like this board to challenge my skills as a rider and be powerful. I was suggested the kaly 6396 190kv’s but also hear amazing things from the alien brand and would love input on motor selection. I enjoy building things to last and doing it right the first time. (Good luck to me) lol

Motor mounts I’ve found the Caliber II Motor Mount with Idler Tensioners from boardnamics

Battery I’m a little lost on, just want a ton of range and reliability with an enclosure to fit it all.

Vesc I’m thinking fox box unity as it’s all over the place and everyone loves it. But open to suggestions if there’s anything better.

I’ve got a no name 40 inch (slight) drop deck I’d be using.

Ideally I’d love to have all parts ordered by this following weekend. With decent shipping times to the us (I know right but a guy can hope).

Like I said any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure those will fit big pulleys for pneumatic wheels, but maybe without the idler? Someone else please chime in

Without knowing if this will be your only build, I highly recommend just buying a battery that will fit whatever enclosure you choose for your build from a skilled battery builder on this forum: [WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

Long story short, new Unities are sold by a scammer / internet douchebag, but the good news is that you can buy a Xenith instead from Build Kit boards, which is basically a clone of the Unity, but with quality control to make sure it’s working, and a warranty of course :slight_smile:

Although with your budget / build, you might want something a bit fancier and powerful, like a Stormcore 60D or dual Torque ESCs. Based on newer hardware, might behave better. YMMV

But do you have an enclosure for it?

And then end up spending months looking for a compatible enclosure? Nah, you gotta order parts / plan your build in the right order:

Someone else can assist you with trucks / wheel choice; I’m not an expert on DKP.

3 Likes

Also I hear Exway has a new all terrain board (the Atlas), might be worth checking that out, unless you want to build the board yourself anyway :upside_down_face:

Heard about these a little I will look into them. [quote=“rusins, post:2, topic:49505”]
But do you have an enclosure for it?
[/quote]

I don’t, just a board I have and I like, but I’m open to buying a board/enclosure bundle to make sure comparability works I don’t wanna play the guessing game lol especially when it comes to the battery and vesc

As far as DKP’s I just like the versatility of them but not dead set I guess

I LOVE that board but not sure if I could wait for it and building saves money. Could always upgrade my board to 4wd too. Or do it immediately lol

depends. Some chinese boards will die in a few months and then yeah, DIY would have been better. But then there are times (especially with your first build) where you end up buying everything twice, + labor + tools you didn’t have before, and it usually ends up costing more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A lot of people here first started buying a prebuilt board; no shame in it. well okay maybe a little bit If there’s one that matches your needs, I recommend seriously considering it. You could later upgrade parts of it, if needed.

3 Likes

There was a whole discussion on this recently, don’t bother until you figure out how good 2wd is lol. If you want to upgrade later then you can.

I believe for starters, it’s not worth the weight and extra battery capability.

I personally run BN mounts with 55T berg pulleys and they are perfectly fine. Not sure if 72t ones would fit though

1 Like

I can sell you a FS dual 6.6+, good for way more current than a Xenith or Unity if you wanna get the most of big motors

1 Like

I’ve ridden up all the hilly places in portland with tiny 6355’s for years and was fine. You have about 50lbs on me so I would suggest at least some 6374’s at the least and you’ll be good.

2 Likes

No dude. Hahaha

He should get some TB 6’s, Xenith or better. Flipsky is a crapshoot and we all know it. :wink:

2 Likes

Our boy @BenjaminF Can get you squared away with a battery here in Portland. No worries about that.

2 Likes

It’s a crap shoot if they arrive dead, if it works it works though. I used one for hundreds of miles, my only gripe was the form factor

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. But FS isn’t a brand I’d ever recommend considering the history. He want’s known good products so he can do it right the first time and not deal with the bs later is all I’m saying. FS isn’t the one.

3 Likes

That’s a very fair point, if he’s got enough room in the budget something reliable would be nice. But I’m not sure there at enough TB6s out to be reliable, I thought they were iffy not too long ago (I haven’t tracked them since then though)

1 Like

I can only speak on my tb 6’s. I’m impressed to say the least. 1000 miles or more on them now maybe? Not one hiccup. Troopers for sure. But any esc depending on the system can be iffy in a way so to speak.

Might even be worth springing for the ubox. It’s got the upgradability headroom for future higher power builds, hasn’t had any major issues, and comes with a pretty decent remote.

2 Likes

Lol I don’t think I’ve gone that far on a single ESC yet

1 Like

2 Likes

100% agree with Brian, look for an enclosure next

If you need help, a flat picture of the bottom of the deck with a tape measure along it would allow us to find you some enclosure options.

2 Likes

I second this, also @BenjaminF is ur local battery builder if u need awesome battery built by a pro

8 Likes

was just abt to say this, Andrew and Benjamin are up in Portland with Hoyt as well I believe

2 Likes