New Zealand Builders

I went for Flipsky off-road kit, esc & remote, more I could buy from one place saved heaps on shipping. Tbh, it’s unlikely you’ll build for cheaper than a board like Wowgo AT. Read the welcome thread on if diy is right for you, some useful info on diy costs when you account for tools, shipping and time.
But you will be able to build what you want

What do you think of the offroad kit? What’s the range and speed like with the wheels you run? I’m looking at some battle hardened with 120mm clouds perhaps I assume with a 12s4p this would out perform the wowgo at2?

I got the 6374s 190kv with 8in pneumies. Running on the dual fsesc 6.6 on 2x6s Turnigy lipos (20ah total). Getting about 18km range & gets up to 45kmh. Can probably go faster but I’m about 100kg & the trucks are pretty wobbly at 40kmh. Thinking of getting some Trampa dampas if they’ll fit as a cheap way to improve.

2 Likes

Sweet, yeah haha man shipping is killer to nz… And then if you get hit with duty tax as well :man_facepalming:.

Haven’t been charged duty tax yet, but probably got lucky

Gday mate, welcome to board building. Im in Gulf Harbour and I am improving and adding bits as I go along. I started with plywood from Bunnings and glassed it, added trucks from evolve (you could get cheaper elsewhere) got wheel given by a mate, battery pack was 2nd hand 36v 2p hover board off trademe for $40, home made motor bracket from 5mm aluminum (bit weak and bends under load). Battery and electronic enclosures from Jaycar, Motor, esc, remote all Fllipsky - going well had no dramas, except I fried my first ESC and remote module. Big shout out and thanks to Black Sambo who gave me one he wasnt using. Good luck and happy building.

2 Likes

I run 7" pnuemiws that are 1/2 and 1/2 still good for bitumen grip also hard pack gravel/dirt

1 Like

Cheers guys for all the advice.
Is it worth buying a second hand evolve gt or something if I can get it for the right price and slowly upgrading the battery/motors etc as I go along?
Thanks

1 Like

Hey mate, another Hibitches Coast diyer? Although I’m a noob, I’m over in Orewa

1 Like

You know what ya getting with an evolve so that’s a positive. And you can upgrade the battery, another positive.

But if you build ya own you can get exactly what ya want. Don’t have to sacrifice. But it is time consuming, expensive and the learning curve is steep. But having a build you made yaself is dope.

There’s heaps of guys on here that can steer you through the process.

1 Like

Cheers guys, anyone have experience with banggood?
This is my build im looking at with flipsky parts.
Banggood shipping is about 200nzd cheaper, and the parts are actually cheaper then flipskys website… (the shipping is suspiciously cheap) :joy:.

Yep, very happy so far with banggood. With such a name, it has to be right, riiiiiight?
Although I never really ordered skate parts there, I’d expect it to be same level of service. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think they centralize products in their warehouses in HK, and you buy from them, like some sort of East Asian Amazon where they don’t blast their CEO to outer space, but I digress… On the other hand, with AliExpress, you deal directly with the vendors even if it’s through the AliExpress ordering/payment platform.

As a result, shipping through banggood is usually pretty quick.
(but don’t quote me on that!)

1 Like

Great place to ride. I switched to 7" pnuemies from thane 87’s so I can go way more places like the circut arond Shakespere park. Just working now on moar powerrrr!

Shakespeare park is on my list, it’s been so wet recently have kept to paved or road for the past month or two. Been wondering if Woodhill is esk8 friendly too to make a day trip of it

If want to go down the rabbit hole of building your own battery most peeps go with 18650’s and best price I’ve found in NZ is Kiwiquads. They will do a discount for 50 to 100 Samsung 30Q and if you didnt want to buy that many a shout out to other guys in NZ would probably go group by with you. Last price I go from them is 50pcs = $320 plus GST
100pcs = $640 plus GST.

1 Like

Just a shout out to local bearings supplier shop.
Maybe not the cheapest option, but seems to have lots of choice, with overnight shipping (even during level4 lockdowns…).

Website is really well made, and very handy when trying to find the bearing references, when trying to find some of the elusive imperial sized bearings, etc… Pretty useful!

https://nzminiaturebearings.com/

Hey guys, I know this is slightly off topic but I’ve been looking at bringing in one of the new gen prebuilts and it seems that suddenly no one will ship to NZ. Tried to get the Hurricane, Zeus, and a few others with no luck. Any ideas on why that is or how I could organise shipping myself? I have a hunch it could be a battery related issue, but not sure why they are all shipping to OZ but not here…

Not off topic at all. Kiwis are constantly struggling to bring all sorts of stuff in so here are some ways to go about it. Contact direct to manufacturer, could be they have another method to have delivered. Another way is to have an address in the USA from NZ Post - they provide a service that will fwd onto you (I’m assuming it is USA?). Batteries come from Ali-express all the time so it cant be that. There is a guy on Facebook who imports one wheels into NZ, might be worth asking him for advice. Hope this helps.

Good advice, I’ve used them for a bunch of other stuff. Good service and price. He was shut down for a short while in the early days of Covid but active again now.

1 Like

Hi There fellow Kiwi Builders.
I’ve completed my 2nd electric mountainboard and keen to find others to ride with. I’m based in South Auckland.
Also flipsky has some flash deals so I will be placing an order if anyone wants to split shipping.