New laws in Iceland: I need manual brakes

“All pev’s must have a non electrical manual hand controlled brakes for emergency stop function”
So I need to install some brakes on my trampa

So, front breaking Vs rear breaking ?
Any aftermarket rear solutions that fit stock trampa with spur gear drive ?
Or something that fits front hangars ?

2 Likes

does it need to slow the actual wheels or could it be like a drag bar?

It needs to stop at least one wheel, I’d prefer to have two wheels stopped though

2 Likes

Trampa sells brake kits but it would mean you’d have both hands filled while riding

4 Likes

That’s the only rule?
I can’t imagine that any of our builds could be legal because of the power of the motors.

2 Likes

Nah, lights front and back, speed limit 25 kmph(or insurance), reflectors on sides, audio noticing device(bell or horn), one passenger per scooter, and the manual handbrake thing, think that’s about all

7 Likes

I wouldn’t mind some mechanical brakes on my board but i would prefer if we could operate it with the foot.

3 Likes

This got me thinking. I would stick a ebike thumb throttle on the brake handle and use the adc input on a vesc…

9 Likes

I tried to buy vehicle insurance here in the USA and they basically laughed me off the phone. They’re so closed-minded it’s ridiculous.

9 Likes

there isn’t even enough data for liability insurance for esk8 businesses in the US, much less data for pev insurance. It’s probably going to take the next 15 years to figure out the risk numbers. They’re slow, and don’t care when they’re making billions on other stuff we already have and kill ourselves on.

5 Likes

I checked with a local insurance company and they offered me an pev insurance, seems like they’ve been doing their job

6 Likes

MBS has some brakes too https://www.mbs.com/parts/15006-mbs-v5-brake-system

4 Likes

This right here is a great idea

5 Likes

Theres also this interesting contraption.

Front wheel drive rear wheel brake?
5 Likes

The front end should have brakes and rear motors.
The weight shifts to front while you brake, that way they are more effective. And the other way around when you accelerate.

1 Like

Honestly if it means its legal and you can ride, that’s not the worst that could be made.

The brake thing is annoying but maybe there would be a way to make a foot activated cable brake. Maybe something you could move your foot onto

4 Likes

The magura brakes do a good job. Some builders have attached the lever to a servo, threw everything into a box and wired the servo to a second channel of a reciever. Works great.

3 Likes

I wonder how a monowheel or hoverboard looks like after retrofitting mechanical brakes.

4 Likes

On something like a self balancing scooter or “hoverboard”, maybe you could just have a plastic piece sticking out the back like the brake on old-school roller skates. Lean far enough back, and the plastic grinds the ground.

2 Likes

Hmm… foot brake fenders like on scooters? doesn’t mean you’d have to use them, but maybe enough to classify as legal? :thinking:

3 Likes